"Scotland of the East" Shillong by satchmo1963
Shillong Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 309 photos
Shillong is the state capital of Meghalaya. It is one of the quaintest hill stations, tucked away in the north-eastern corner of India. The name Meghalaya (meaning `abode of clouds') was appropriately given to the region by Rabindranath Tagore.
The Britishers acquired development rights of Shillong from local Khasi rulers in the mid-19th century. It is perched at about 5000ft above sea level, is a 3.5 hour 100 kms drive through pristine territory from Guwahati, which is the closest preferred airport.
- Pros:The old world charm remains
- Cons:Rising population and increased road traffic adds to the general chaos
- In a nutshell:A chip off the British Isles
satchmo1963's Related Pages
Shillong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shillong - 'Halfway To Heaven'"
- "Meghalaya,The Abode of Clouds & North East Culture"
- "Shillong - The Scotland of the East"
- "Shillong, State of Meghalaya"
- "Scotland of the East"
- "A Hill Station in the North East Corner of India"
- "Shillong- The Scotland of East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shillong
- Hotels in Shillong
- Transportation in Shillong
- Nightlife in Shillong
- Restaurants in Shillong
- Shopping in Shillong
- Warnings and Dangers in Shillong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shillong
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Shillong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shillong
Photos in ShillongSee All Photos (3)
Top 5 Pages
- Jaisalmer Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Jodhpur Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Bikaner Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Phuket Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Shillong Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
No friends yet.