"I me myself" ashisharyan's Profile

Home

Hi all this is miks aka ashish from Calcutta , Well this is where it all starts from my Home sweet home. This is where i started taking those small steps and started my journey to meet the world... I am getting this picture of my room for now as my home is 2 big to fit in the camera lens....LOL...

Well my journey to meet the world has just started and i hope 2 meet new people and learn their culture and see their way of living....its very important that u enjoy every moment where u are..

Well abut the picture i am there with my cousin and in case u have just visited the profile for the frst time i am the one in the White kurta.

Durga Puja

This is one Festival where the whole of West Bengal turns into an country in itself. Its the biggest puja for the bengalis in West Bengal and all over the world no matter whereever they live they enjoy it an a Big Way.
The actual period of the worship however may be over the preceding nine days Navaratri or five days (Sasthi, Saptami, Asthami, Nabami & Vijaya Dashami) - (Bengali ষষ্ঠী Shoshţhi, সপ্তমী Shôptomi, অষ্টমী Ôshţomi, নবমী Nôbomi, বিজয়া দশমী Bijôea Dôshomi).

I am not trying to go much so much in history but yes i will try to incorporate as much as possible.

In the Krittibas Ramayana, Rama invokes the goddess Durga in his battle against Ravana. Although she was traditionally worshipped in the spring, due to contingencies of battle, Rama had to invoke her in the autumn akaal bodhan. Today it is this Rama's date for the puja that has gained ascendancy, although the spring puja, known as Basanti Puja, is also present in the Hindu almanac. Since the season of the puja is শরৎ Shôrot autumn, it is also known as শরদিয়া Shôrodia.

In Calcutta more than 3 thousand pandals are set up. The city is adorned with lights. People from all over the country visit the city at this time, and every night is one mad carnival where thousands of people go 'pandal-hopping' with their friends and family. Traffic becomes a nightmare, and indeed, most people abandon their vehicles to travel by foot after a point.

*Pandals The word pandal means a temporary structure, made of bamboo and cloth, which is used as a temporary temple for the purpose of the puja.

During the pujas you will see the whole of city coming to the streets no matter if you are 2 years or 60 years old, people generally come out in the night for pandal hopping and continue the same till the early hours in the morning.

Everyone is dressed up to their best, girls trying to look as different as possible and guys trying desperately to catch the attention of the girls well its very common during the pujas.

The food gets very speical during these times as people from different places of the country comes here because the are rest assure of a good business and U can find fresh food no matter if its 5 in the morning.

The celebration are continued for 5 days and this are those SPECIAL 5 days which seperates the BEST from the rest.

Well u all have to be here to feel the passion.

• Intro Updated Dec 28, 2007

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Many Happy Returns of the day!!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Hello Ashish, I hopeyou have a wonderful birthday today and have a great year to come. fergy.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Hey Miks - Just wanted to let you know that I'll be in Kolkata in Jan/Feb. I'll probably post a VT meet and I really hope that you'll be able to come!!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Happy birthday Ashish! Greetings from Italy, Michele

• sudo2008's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Hi .best wishes and goodluck for Durga pooja festival..from Mumbai>India

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Hello Ashish...good pages...looking forward to more.We are having 2nd visit to Calcutta December 2008...I love India and all it offers. Regards form Australia

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM

Lovely home page. ~ho & pang

• jethanand's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Thank you, Ashish for your intro to Kolkatta on your HP. Makes me want to visit during Durga Puja, maybe 2009 !

• Gizzigoo's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Hi Ashish, Your family looks beautiful. One day we will visit your beautiful country, it is our dream and we are very focused on this becoming a reality for us. Perhaps one day you will visit Australia. Namaste Glenda

• Hewer's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Hi there Ashish.... I will definitely make it to India eventually. At this point I'm eyeing the 2011 World Cup.. or maybe the Australian tour in October next year. Have you watched a game at Eden Gardens?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
ashisharyan's Profile Photo

ashisharyan

“Go there See there Enjoy there & BE there....”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.