"NYKÖPING" Top 5 Page for this destination Nyköping by gugi66
Nyköping Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 189 photos
The area bears traces of settlers since around 2,000 BC. In the early medieval age, around 1,000 AD, Nyköping was a capital of one the many Swedish petty kingdoms. In the 13th century, construction on the Nyköping Fortress was begun; the following century it became the strongest fortress of the country. The coat of arms probably depicts the fortress, or one of its towers.
In 1317 the Nyköping Banquet took place, a renowned episode in Sweden's history, when King Birger of Sweden captured his two brothers as a revenge for earlier sufferings and had them imprisoned without food until they starved to death.
The earliest known charter dates from 1444, making it one of the now defunct Cities in Sweden. In the 16th century Nyköping became the seat of duke Charles who later became Charles IX of Sweden. With the status of a Royal residential seat, Nyköping was at its peak of development.
In 1665 large parts of the city including the fortress were damaged in a fire. The same thing happened again in 1719 when Russian troops invaded the city. It was then rebuilt with its current street plan.
Nyköping was industrialized relatively early compared to the rest of Sweden. In the early 19th century, textile industry was established, and the population soon rose as Nyköping's industry grew.
When your in Nyköping the best way to get around is with bicycle, everytings is nearby. You can rent bicycles in... more travel advice
If you dont want to take a taxi to Nyköping you can take the local bus that runns from 04.00 to 00.00 every day. Take... more travel advice
gugi66's Related Pages
Nyköping Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A DAY IN THE COUNTRYSIDE"
- "Key city known as Stockholm South"
- "A couple of hours in the rain"
- "I LOVE Sweden!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nyköping
- Hotels in Nyköping
- Transportation in Nyköping
- Nightlife in Nyköping
- Restaurants in Nyköping
- Shopping in Nyköping
- Warnings and Dangers in Nyköping
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nyköping
- 32 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Nyköping?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nyköping
Videos in NyköpingSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 125 reviews, 518 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 90 reviews, 320 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 54 reviews, 199 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waikiki Intro, 51 reviews, 198 photos
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nyköping Intro, 32 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norrköping Intro, 34 reviews, 61 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos
- Oslo Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos