"Miyajima - Itsukushima" Top 5 Page for this destination Miyajima by pure1942
Miyajima Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 389 photos
Itsukushima, more commonly known as Miyajima, is an island close to the city of Hiroshima in the western region of Honshu. Just off the coast in Japan’s Inland Sea, Miyajima is an easy and worthwhile day trip from Hiroshima, although escaping the crowds of other visitors is no easy task.
Miyajima’s fame is mainly due to the national treasures that are located on the island and the historical significance attributed to the island. Itsukushima Shrine is the jewel in the crown of Miyajima. This UNESCO World Heritage Site was originally a shrine dedicated to the daughters of Susano no Mikoto, the Shinto deity of Seas and Storms. The first buildings located here wereprobably first erected in the 6th century but have been replaced, renovated and expanded many times over the centuries. The present day shrine dates from the 16th century and today is the focal point of the entire complex.
Apart from the shrine itself, Miyajima’s other main draw is the great floating gate or ‘Torii’, which has been proclaimed as one of Japan’s Nihon Sankei or 3 Most Scenic Views. The torii stands in the bay just in front of the Itsukushima Shrine and at high tide appears to float on the water. The other main sites within the complex are the magnificent Soribashi Arched Bridge, Noh Butai (Stage), Hirabutai, as well as the beautiful temples and pagodas that surround the shrine.
Of course, the historical and architectural wonders of the Itsukushima Shrine and surrounding buildings, are not the only attraction of Miyajima. With multiple island trails, abundant flora and fauna, stunning scenery and coastal views, Miyajima has something for everyone and once you get over the typically kitsch Japanese souvenir shops, the cobblestone streets winding around the temples and along flowing streams have an irresistible charm
As I have outlined in more detail in my local customs tip, you wont have to wait long before you encounter herds of... more travel advice
One of Miyajima’s most beautiful temples, Daisho-in Temple is located a short walk to the east of the main village and... more travel advice
pure1942's Related Pages
Miyajima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the most famous red gate in japan"
- "Miyajima - Itsukushima"
- "Aki no Miyajima"
- "Miyajima: Island Shrine"
- "Miyajima Island"
- "Miyajimma - island of romance and history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miyajima
- Hotels in Miyajima
- Transportation in Miyajima
- Nightlife in Miyajima
- Restaurants in Miyajima
- Shopping in Miyajima
- Warnings and Dangers in Miyajima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Miyajima
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Miyajima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miyajima
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 71 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 46 reviews, 135 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 58 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 36 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor Intro, 36 reviews, 99 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 78 photos