"Tipperary - Tiobraid Arann" Top 5 Page for this destination County Tipperary by pure1942
County Tipperary Travel Guide: 179 reviews and 515 photos
As my home county, I am of course very proud of Tipperary and consider it one of the most beautiful and underrated parts of Ireland. The lush green fields of 'The Golden Vale' plains are surrounded by the Galtee Montains (bordering Co. Cork) in the west and the Knockmealdown Mountains (bordering Co. Waterord) to the south.
The county is divided into two main regions (North and South) with most of the counties immediate attractions located in the south, although the north of the county does have the wonderful offerings of Holycross Abbey and Lough Derg.
The south of the county contains the lion's share of the spoils with The Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, The Vee, Glens of Aherlow, Galtee Mountains, Mitcheltown Caves and various beautiful forests and woods all located in the south.
The Rock of Cashel
The Rock of Cashel is one of the most visited heritage site in Ireland, and as I spent the first 22 years of my life living in Cashel, it is a place I am immensely proud of, even though I took it for granted for so long!!! St. Patrick's Rock, as it is, formally known as, is in fact a series of religious buildings and landmarks which grew and exanded steadily over the centuries. For more information on the Rock of Cashel and Cashel in general visit my seperate Cashel page by clinking here
Along with The Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle is another fine example of ancient architecture which can be seen in Co. Tipperary. The name 'Cahir' is actually derived from the irish word 'Chathair' meaning stone fort, so it is not surprising to come across this magnificent castle, originally dating from the 12th century, smack bang in the centre of this small compact town. For more info on Cahir Castle and town visit my Cahir page by clicking here
Holycross Abbey is roughly located between Cashel and Thurles. The famous abbey is a beautiful example of Irish MOnastic architecture, but it's fame comes from the abbey's claim to the possession of piece of the true cross, which is displyed within the abbey church.
The Vee (Clogheen)
If you like hill walking or scenic drives, The Vee in South Tipperary is right up your street. The Vee is located in the Knockmealdown Mountain range on the border between Tipperary and Waterford and walks/drives through the will be rewarded with rugged but beautiful natural scenery and on clear days a spectacular view over the plains of Tipperary and beyond.
Tipperary is littered with many beautiful wooded and forested areas but my personal favourite is Glengarra woods located just beyond Cahir in the south of the county. Glengarra is a favourite with locals and visitors alike with a hostel situated in the woods themselves.
The Galtee Mountains offer the best of Tipperary's Hiking Opportunities. The highest peak in the chain is Galtee Mor at 917m and the gradient is easy so it makes for a fairly laid back hike with great views of eastern Munster.
Glengarra Woods is a wooded area covering over 700 hectares. This peaceful wood, located between Cahir Town and... more travel advice
Cahir Castle is one of Ireland's finest and best preserved castles. Originally it was Conor O'Brien, Lord of Thomond,... more travel advice
pure1942's Related Pages
County Tipperary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Up Tipp!!!"
- "Tipperary - Tiobraid Arann"
- "WELCOME TO MY COUNTY TIPPERARY PAGE ......:-)"
- "Tipperary - a county with a nice cave and ruins!"
- "The Way to Tipperary"
- "It's a long way to Tipperary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Tipperary
- Hotels in County Tipperary
- Transportation in County Tipperary
- Nightlife in County Tipperary
- Restaurants in County Tipperary
- Shopping in County Tipperary
- Warnings and Dangers in County Tipperary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Tipperary
- 38 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to County Tipperary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Tipperary
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 71 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 46 reviews, 135 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 58 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 36 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor Intro, 36 reviews, 99 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 78 photos