"Ulcinj - Ulqin" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj by pure1942

Ulcinj Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 295 photos

The Good and The Bad

Before I start I have to stress that I visited Ulcinj in April during the town’s low season and so the impression I got from the town may not be the same as people who have visited during the high season. While I can easily imgine Ulcinj as a throbbing, lively, holiday hotspot during the summer season, visiting in the low season can give the town a bit of a ghost-town atmosphere. Truthfully speaking, the town itself was a little disappointing, considering the positive articles and reviews I had read about its quaint Old Town, pristine beaches and great nightlife...obviously all written by people visiting during the summer.
Perhaps I’m being a little unfair to the town and can’t really vouch for a town which is unashamedly a summer destination and locals will readily admit that the town doesn’t show its best colours in the low season. Anyway, we were really only using Ulcinj as a stopping point before continuing on to Albania and even for this reason only, Ulcinj suited us well as the best connections into Albania are easiest from this southern Montenegrin town.

If you scratch hard enough at Ulcinj’s exterior you can find some pleasant surprises lurking underneath. Actually Ulcinj is one of the first towns where my initial good impressions have being turned bad and back again to better impressions. The first sight of the crescent shaped bay flanked on one side by a rocky bluff and on the other by the Old Town perched high on a cliff is very picturesque, but can take a bit of a sour turn when you drive along the beach front and past the row of tacky shops, bars and fast food joints, most of which were closed down and abandoned during our visit. The Old Town is pretty and has the added bonus of still retaining it’s mainly residential function, with the encroachment of just a few small restaurants, with fantastic views over the bay. Ulcinj’s town beach is pretty and clean but Velika Plaza steals the show, with its famous 12km long beach just to the south of Ulcinj. This beach is the scene of a mass invasion every summer when thousands of holiday makers descend on Ulcinj. The town is very popular with German, Russian, Polish, Kosovar and Albanian holiday makers looking for sun, music and a lively nightlife. A walk along the shady road towards Velika Plaza is lined with various outdoor terrace bars and nightclubs, which while closed down and grotty looking during our time, is surely a buzzing place during the summer. Further on there are various rocky coves and small beaches which look like great spots for swimming...just not in April! You can catch great views of the rugged Montenegro coast as you walk towards Velika Plaza. Unfortunately, however, I was left with an overall impression of a grotty and neglected place, covered in litter and no matter how lively the place is during the summer I was left a little disappointed. Shame, because the coast itself is beautiful and would be wonderful to explore more if the place were tidied up a little.

Having said all that, my impressions of Ulcinj were rescued when exploring the coast to the north of the town. This area is untouched by development and offers a glimpse at the untouched beauty of Ulcinj’s coast. Stroll up and down small cliff paths to the north of the Old Town, especially at sunset and you are rewarded with beautiful sea views and rugged coastline. My favourite part of Ulcinj and one rarely seen by visitors! Would be interesting to visit Ulcinj during the summer to see if my impressions of the town change but with all the other beautiful places to see in Montenegro, I doubt I’ll be running back.

• Last visit to Ulcinj: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Fabulous little page about Ulcinj here. We once visited the city for a couple of days in August and we really liked it a lot. We even bumped into another VT member by chance.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Just got back from 2 weeks in Ulcinj, only now noticed your pages...:) I really loved Ulcinj.You wrote about Cervantes,,,that is sadly made up by locals to boost tourism...Greets from Budapest

• May 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM

it is called EX CAFFE and it is reely the best place in ul right now...

pure1942

“See The World From A Different Angle”

Badges & Stats in Ulcinj