"Tobago" Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad and Tobago by pure1942
Trinidad and Tobago Travel Guide: 788 reviews and 1,397 photos
Tobago was my first taste of the Caribbean and what a way to start. The small island is one of the least 'touristy' of all the Caribbean islands and so has avoided much of the over development which has blighted many other islands. It has only recently begun to develop it's tourist industry, so there aren't many resorts and no high rise apartment blocks. The only real area of a built up tourist population and area is around Crown Point and the southern part of the island. The north of the island is virtually untouched by tourism and is the most beautiful and isolated part of the island.
The whole coastline of Tobago is dotted with beautiful and secluded bays of typical Caribbean quality with clear turquoise water, soft white sand and swaying palm trees. Many of the best bays are located along the leeward (Caribbean) side of the island and to fully explore them you would need to rent a car. My favourite bays were Castara, Englishman's Bay, Parlatuvier, Charlotteville and Pirate's Bay and Bateaux Bay.
Each of these bays has its' own individual charm and beauty and you could spend days just enjoying these beaches and bays.
Many of the bays offer unbelievable swimming and snorkelling with the best available at Casatara, Englishman's Bay, Pirate's Bay and Bateaux Bay.
Tobago is a nature lover's paradise and has a little something for everybody. Miles of beautiful Caribbean and Atlantic coastline, Coral Reefs, Mountains, Cliffs, Scenic views and walks, Waterfalls, Fishing nit to mention the oldest rainforest in the Western Hemisphere.
The is regarded as one of the best locations in Central America and the Caribbean for bird watching especially on the small island of Little Tobago where you can see hummingbirds and the stunning Red-Billed Tropic Bird.
The island is also home to many magnificent coral reefs which are home to hundreds of species of tropical fish such as many varities of Angel Fish and Parrot Fish as well as stingrays, dolphins and sharks.
The reefs themselves can be viewed using one of the many glass bottom boat tours. (Use only reputable boats tours who do not anchor on the reef and if you go make sure you never touch or walk on any part of any reef as this can do irreprable damage to these thousand year old corals)
Tobago is famous for its' population of endangered turtles which include the giant leatherbacks and loggerhead varities. If you visit during july or August you can get the opportunity to either see the giant turtles coming up onto the beaches to lay their eggs or six weeks later seeing the little hatchlings emerge from their shells and make their way to the water to begin their journey. One of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed! Groups of tiny leatherback turtles pulling their way to the water's edge.
Tobago is quite simply an amazing place to visit and has left me with so many great memories. This lush tropical paradise is breathtaking in every way and is enhanced even further by the laid back and friendly attitude of it's inhabitants who will make you feel so welcome.
It is customary in Trinidad and Tobago that when you open a fresh bottle of rum that before drinking any you pour a cap... more travel advice
Just across the road from the tombstone and down a little cul-de-sac road you come to the Courland Monument which... more travel advice
pure1942's Related Pages
Trinidad and Tobago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A little bit of paradise, Tobago"
- "Nature Lover's Paradise"
- "Tobago - Green, blue, red ... and relax !"
- "YA MOOON!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad and Tobago
- Hotels in Trinidad and Tobago
- Transportation in Trinidad and Tobago
- Nightlife in Trinidad and Tobago
- Restaurants in Trinidad and Tobago
- Shopping in Trinidad and Tobago
- Warnings and Dangers in Trinidad and Tobago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trinidad and Tobago
- 26 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Trinidad and Tobago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad and Tobago
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Bus/Train to FYRO Macedonia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Throw away the first capful of your rum!!!"
- Wrote a Review Throw away the first capful of your rum!!! in Trinidad and Tobago Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Trinidad and Tobago
- updated a Trinidad and Tobago Travel Page "Tobago"
Photos in Trinidad and TobagoSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 71 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 46 reviews, 135 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 58 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 36 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor Intro, 36 reviews, 99 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 78 photos