"Easter Island - Rapa Nui" Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island by pure1942

Easter Island Travel Guide: 632 reviews and 1,530 photos

A Dream Fulfilled

Quite simply, Easter Island is one of the most memorable and special places I have ever visited. I had dreamt of visiting this place ever since first clapping my eyes on pictures of the weird ‘heads’ of Easter Island in an old children’s encyclopaedia when I was a child. Never imagined I would ever get the opportunity to actually visit but while planning our round the world trip in 2009/2010 we found that we could include a flight to Easter Island on a RTW ticket so one of my great travel ambitions was realised.

Easter Island can’t disappoint. The expense and effort required to reach this isolated speck of land set in the vast blue expanse of the South Pacific is well worthwhile. The memories you take from Easter Island will last a lifetime and I have rarely been to a place that has left such a lasting impression on me.

From the obvious attractions of the giant stone moai statues and lesser known but equally intriguing Orongo ceremonial village and birdman cult to the hidden secret caves and superb diving, Easter Island is far more than just a few ‘stone heads’. The island exudes a unique mystery and history wherever you look and for it to be all located on this tiny island, the most isolated inhabited place on earth, just adds to the intrigue.

• Last visit to Easter Island: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2011

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I have been looking at trying to get to Easter island this NOvember as part of a RTW ticket - not looking good! looks like I have to do it as a separate ticket these days, back to Santiago and then on to NZ without even being able to go to Rarotonga as also hoped!and the Easter Is to Tahiti price was £900 one way! LAN apparently no longer fly to NZ or something relevant to my travel agents attempt to create a RTW...but wheres theres a will....! Amazin place as portrayed in your interesting and helpful page thanks Brian..to include a volcano visit how many days is enough - 4?

• pure1942's Profile Photo
      Aug 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM

That's a shame that the Easter Island flight is no longer included on the RTW tickets...it was the only economical way to get there. We did have to fight hard to get it included....it isn't a flight that they like to give away so cheap!!! Maybe they are just trying to put you off because they would get more money for the flight if they sold it separately. We were told we couldn't include the flight to Tahiti but I since found out we should have been allowed. We couldn't include out Rarotonga flight because no One World alliance airline flies there butu we got a cheap flight there with Pacific Blue. Hope it works out for you and let me know if I can be of any help.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Oct 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM

hi should have come back to earlier as have been having to make serious decisions as time is ticking closer to when the want to head off to a conference in Chile...RTW was looking good until i realised this morning that the £439 agent said was for Easter island was only the 2 day tour and 3 night accommodation!the flights which i had known are usually about £500 she had said had put into RTW price i thought was fine until realised the tour is extra = about £1000 in total! the flights that fit only give me 2 full days after a 1715 arrival and 0755 departure...is the tour then a must do for such limited time you think?!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Very interesting page! I would like to make a small trip here!!!!!!!!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Hello, Brian!~ Thanks for your comprehensive story about your experiences on that faraway island that is truly worth visiting....

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Wonderfully, interesting page! Your photo's are great! I didn't realize there were so many colour's on the island, nor, so many "moai."
    Really a very beautiful Island to see, but for the $60n/pk admission fee, that's daylight robbery!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Wow, you have this rare gift to let the stories of places come alive through your writing! Almost as if you have talked to every moai you saw and heard their stories personally! I love your photos and very much moving are the ones with the statues and daily life next to them. Makes them look like the guardians of the locals :-) And these sunsets and sunrises are out of this world! I also love El Gigante, how peaceful he rests in the quarry. Love your local customs tips with so much insight to this gorgeous culture. Fascinating to read about the writing and the rongo-rongo tablets but so sad to hear that none is on the island anymore (a reason why I deeply hate private collectors of ancient arts). To see a moai underwater must be very exciting, even if it is a replica! And I understand the wishes for independence, for the so different cultures and especially when money goes down into secret Chilean pockets rather than stay where it is needed (your price hike before eclipse story). Thanks for a magic and inspiring read, Brian :-)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Really incredible photos you have on your page.
    Easter island is one of the biggest must sees i have on my list.

pure1942

“See The World From A Different Angle”

Badges & Stats in Easter Island

Have you been to Easter Island?

Latest Activity in Easter Island