"Prague - Czech Republic" Prague by pure1942
Prague Travel Guide: 11,888 reviews and 24,854 photos
Prague is made up from five different cities, with the Vltava River running through it's centre. In 1922 the five seperate towns came together to form the united City of Prague. the conyrbation included another 37 areas of central Bohemia.
Modern Prague is comprised of five main areas - Prague Castle and Hradcany, The Little Quarter, The Jewish Quarter, The Old Town and The New Town.
Prague Castle and Hradcany:
The historic castle of Prague stands proudly over the city. The castle dates back to the 9th century when it was founded by Prince Borivoj. There are many buildings located inside the castle walls which make up the castle complex. These buildings include St. Vitus's Cathedral, The Lobkowicz Palace, Dalibor Tower, Powder Tower, White Tower and St. George's Convent.
The Little Quarter - Malá Strana:
The Little Quarter of Prague is located in the west area of the city, overlooked by Prague Castle. This area of the city hasn't changed much in the last two centuries. The area was founded in 1257 below the castle hill.
The main sights to see, in this mainly Baroque area, are the Church of St. Nicholas in Malostranské Námestí, the Wallenstein Palace, Petrín Hill and of course the Charles Bridge which links The Little Quarter with The Old Town.
The Old Town - Staré Mesto
The Old Town is situated on the East side of the Vltava. In the 11th century the town spread across to this side of the river and grew up around the market square which is now Staromeste Námestí. the square is the heart of the old town and in it visitors flock to see the Town Hall with it's impressive Astronomical Clock, Church of our Lady before Tyn and Kinsky Palace.
Jewish Quarter - Josefov:
For centuries Prague's jews suffered oppresive laws and were confined to the Jewish Quarter. The main sights include the Old Jewish cemetery and Synagogues.
New Town - Nové Mesto:
The new town was founded by Charles IV in 1348 and is centred around three large squares, of which Wenceslas Square is the main commercial area in the centre of Prague. The square is mostly made up of Hotels and Restaurants but the National Museum is also located here as is the famous Statue of St. Wenceslas on Horseback.
pure1942's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "prague czech republic"
- "PRAHA - PRAGUE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 71 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 46 reviews, 135 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 58 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 36 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor Intro, 36 reviews, 99 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 78 photos