"Glendalough - Co. Wicklow" Top 5 Page for this destination Glendalough Lakes by pure1942
Glendalough Lakes Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 192 photos
Glendalough, meaning Glen of the Two Lakes, is one of the most important, beautiful and interesting monastic sites in Ireland. Blessed with a stunningly beautiful natural setting deep in the Wicklow Mountains, Glendalough is the site of Ireland’s premier early Christian settlement.
St. Kevin founded a monastery here in the early 6th century. Kevin was born into a wealthy and powerful Leinster clan but forsake his privileged lifestyle to live in solitude and prayer in Glendalough, where, after studying under Eoghan, Lochan and Eanna, he founded a monastic settlement of learning, art and spirituality. Kevin died around 618 but the legacy and fame of his centre of learning, art and Christianity lived on for centuries in Glendalough.
In the 12th century, Glendalough was reaching the pinnacle of its importance as one of Ireland’s most important monastic sites and was designated as one of north Leinster’s ‘capitals’ of ecclesiastical power. Under the direction of Laurence O’ Toole, abbot of Glendalough, the monastery continued to prosper and grow in international fame.
After the diocese of Glendalough and Dublin were amalgamated in 1214, Glendalough’s importance and popularity started to wain and after the English destroyed and plundered many of the buildings in 1398, Glendalough lost much of its remaining power. The site became more important as place of local religious significance and as a place of pilgrimage. Today the monastic site of Glendalough is still an important place of pilgrimage and the valley itself is also a hugely popular national park due to its breathtaking natural beauty and location. Glendalough has become one of Ireland’s most visited historical, cultural and religious attractions.
Kevin as a person was somewhat eccentric and reclusive to say the least and there are many legends and myths surrounding... more travel advice
While most visitors come to Glendalough tosee the fantastic monastic treasures on display, Glendalough is also a... more travel advice
pure1942's Related Pages
Glendalough Lakes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glendalough - Co. Wicklow"
- "Glendalough - Ancient Ireland!"
- "Orlikins goes to Glendalough"
- "Glendalough/Gleann Dá Locha"
- "Glendalough, County Wicklow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glendalough Lakes
- Hotels in Glendalough Lakes
- Transportation in Glendalough Lakes
- Nightlife in Glendalough Lakes
- Restaurants in Glendalough Lakes
- Warnings and Dangers in Glendalough Lakes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Glendalough Lakes
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Glendalough Lakes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glendalough Lakes
Photos in Glendalough LakesSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 71 reviews, 182 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar Intro, 46 reviews, 135 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 58 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucerne Intro, 33 reviews, 127 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 75 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 36 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor Intro, 36 reviews, 99 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 78 photos