"6 Weeks - 25 Houses!" Parnaíba by pure1942

Parnaíba Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 14 photos

SERVE in Parnaiba and Morros

Parnaiba is located in the North-Eastern State of Piaui. Piaui is generally regarded as one of the poorest and most underpriviledged states in Brazil. Unemployment is rife and the majority of people live in the sub standard conditions.
I am currently involved in an Irish organisation called SERVE which is a group commited to tackling world poverty and has overseas projects in Thailand, The Philippines, India, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Brazil.
In 2007 I went on a project to Brazil where we were primarily involved in a house building project in partnership with local communities in and around Parnaiba in the state of Piaui.

Our Time in Parnaiba

During the months of July and August we set up camp near the city of Parnaiba in a village called Morros. It was here we assisted the local community in building 25 family homes for underprivileged families.
The project was a great success for everybody invloved with a total of 25 houses being completed in our time in the area. For a small group of 20 volunteers and a determined group of locals that's not too bad. In the three years since the organisation has been involved in the house building project, nearly 75 houses have been constructed.

The overall experience was an eye-opener to say the very very least. I was based at numerous house sites but there was one in particular in the area of Baha Vermella where I worked most days. The work, although tough, was very enjoyable. Working with the locals and the family who would receive the house was the highlight of the whole project.

SERVE - Brazil 2008

Since returning from the project in Brazil last year I have decided to return again this year on the same project. It is now just under two months away until I fly out again and I'm busy getting ready for the trip and raising funds and sponsorship. This year the Parnaiba communities and the Irish group are hoping to build 30 additional houses, which will bring the total over four years to 100!
If anyone reading this would like to learn more about SERVE and our overseas projects, just log onto www.serve.ie to find out more. If anybody would like to make a donation to any of the overseas projects there are details on the website on how you can contribute or help.

• Last visit to Parnaíba: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2008

Comments

pure1942

“See The World From A Different Angle”

Badges & Stats in Parnaíba

Have you been to Parnaíba?

Latest Activity in Parnaíba