"cobrioc's new Columbus Page" Columbus by cobrioc
Columbus Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 107 photos
Columbus, Georgia is situated on the fall line of the
Chattahoochee River, at the western border of the state,
95 miles southwest of Atlanta.
It was founded in 1828 as a planned city.
The first industry was the shipping of cotton by steamer on the river, from Columbus to the Gulf of Mexico. Columbus became the denim-producing capital of the world. Columbus also had a major iron works which built gunboats during the Civil War, and made one of the first ice-making machines.
In World War I the War Department started
a "School of Musketry" here which became Fort Benning , the largest U.S. Army Infantry Center and school in the world.
Amoung the 1996 Olympic games, Columbus hosted the Fast Pitch Softball venue.
Georgia nickname Empire State of the South Peach State
South of Columbus lies Providence Canyon State Park, known as Georgia's Little Grand Canyon.
Florence Marina State Park at the northern end of Lake walter F. george, on the Chattahoochee River, is a perfect setting for water enthusiasts.
In the Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center where 1,000 tropical butterflies, representing more than 50 different species,... more travel advice
The Columbus Riverwalk, featuring red brick and iron work, is a popular pronenade along the banks of the Chattahoochee... more travel advice
- See All The Downtown Historic District
- See All Red Beer- Honest Food
- See All Best
- Columbus Southern Hospitality...
- Columbus Goverment provide...
cobrioc's Related Pages
Columbus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old River City"
- "columbus georgia"
- "Columbus Georgia"
- "Columbus ,GA"
- "cobrioc's new Columbus Page"
- "Columbus.. A Historical Town worth seeing"
- "Cheewa's new Columbus Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbus
- Hotels in Columbus
- Transportation in Columbus
- Nightlife in Columbus
- Restaurants in Columbus
- Warnings and Dangers in Columbus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbus
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Columbus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbus
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 108 reviews, 174 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 54 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 47 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 37 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pecs Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Orlando Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Destin Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue