Pensacola Favorite Tips by cobrioc
Pensacola Favorites: 25 reviews and 25 photos
Favorite thing: It's quite obvious to anyone who has walked one of the Emerald Coast's beaches that the sand here is among the whitest,cleanest and softest in the world. What you may not know,however, is that when you walk
on the beaches here, you're actually walking on the mountains-the Appalachian Mountains, that is.
Fondest memory: The sand of beach is comprised mainly of quartz washed
down from the mountains by teh Apalachicola River,
160 miles east of Pensacola Beach.It is this quartz, ground to a perfect oval in each grain of sand, that makes the beach 'squeak' when you walk on it.
Normally, such quartz has a rosy pink tint because of
its iron oxide coating but the sugary-white quartz teh Emerald Coast lost its coating somewhere along its watery journey thousand of years ago.No one knows exactly how or why.
What scientist do know, however, it that erosion of these beautiful sugar-sand beaches can be prevented.
More Reviews (10)
- Air Tran offers four daily...
- Pensacola is blessed with a...
- Residents and visitors about...
- Walk out the Longest Pier in...
- The Pensacola Beach Quietwater...
cobrioc's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kavala Hotels
- Mottram in Longdendale Hotels
- Kenwood Beach Hotels
- Katherine Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 108 reviews, 174 photos, 6 travelogues
- Hungary Intro, 54 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 47 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 37 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pecs Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Orlando Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Destin Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Pensacola hotel reviews
- New World Inn
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Pensacola Airport (Cordova Mall Area)
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front
- 646 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Palm Court Inn And Suites
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2012
- Sole Inn and Suites Hotel Pensacola
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Clarion Inn Pensacola
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
- 432 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hospitality Inn Pensacola NAS
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2012
- Baymont Inn and Suites Pensacola
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Villas on the Gulf
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- Microtel Inn And Suites-Pensacola
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 2, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Pensacola
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- MainStay Suites Pensacola
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Springhill Guesthouse
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 27, 2012