"cobrioc's new Pensacola Beach Page" Pensacola by cobrioc
Pensacola Travel Guide: 248 reviews and 559 photos
The Western Gate to the Sunshine State
Long before spanish conquistadors set foot in Northern Florida,the Land offered food and shelter to a number of Native American tribes.One of these tribes, the Panzacola, lived in relative seclusion in the Pensacola Bay area until Spanish explorers landed on their shores in 1559. Although these early conquistadors called the Land Panzacola after the tribe they encountered there,the Spaniards thought the natives savages and primitive, and thus the struggle for control began between native and newcomer.
The 1559 landing of Don Tristan de Luna and his fleet on the coast of Pensacola made this area the first European settlement in the United States, and thus America's First Place City.
During the next 140 years or so the Pensacola Bay
area remained in quiet seclusion, with very little contact between Indians and settlers.In the centuries that followed, five different flags flew over Pensacola
as fighting nations /Spain, France, England,the Confe-
deracy and the United States/ struggled for power.By the end of the American Civil War in 1835, the City of Five Flags was permanently cloaked in stars and stripes.
Once the U.S. had gained control and brought the other nations to half-mast, the city of Pensacola celebrated with a decade of bathtub gin and dancing the Charleston.
In 1925,around the same time that Pensacola was developing a reputation for fast times, Col.Guy H.Wynman
founded a small beach area southeast of the city where life moved at a slower pace. He named it Navarre, after a lovely province in northern Spain.1960s,, when the Navarre Bridge was opened.
Pensacola and Navarre's lively past have played an integral part in shaping the character ot their present.As one of the oldest cities in the nation, Pensacola offers a number of munuments and historic places thet offer testimony to its rich heritage.
Navarre still maintains its southern charm and laid-back atmosphere that drew people to its pristine beaches decades ago.
It's quite obvious to anyone who has walked one of the Emerald Coast's beaches that the sand here is among the... more travel advice
Pensacola is blessed with a plethora of lunch eatries, many of which will not drain your wallet. FLOUNDER'S CHOWDER... more travel advice
- Walk out the Longest Pier in...
- The Pensacola Beach Quietwater...
- The National Museum of Naval...
cobrioc's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 108 reviews, 174 photos, 6 travelogues
- Hungary Intro, 54 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 47 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 37 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pecs Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Orlando Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Destin Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Pensacola hotel reviews
- New World Inn
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Pensacola Airport (Cordova Mall Area)
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front
- 645 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Palm Court Inn And Suites
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2012
- Clarion Inn Pensacola
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Sole Inn and Suites Hotel Pensacola
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
- 430 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hospitality Inn Pensacola NAS
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2012
- Baymont Inn and Suites Pensacola
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Villas on the Gulf
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- Microtel Inn And Suites-Pensacola
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 2, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Pensacola
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- MainStay Suites Pensacola
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Quality Inn N.A.S. Corry
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013