"Welcome To Eger" Top 5 Page for this destination Eger by cobrioc
Eger Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 471 photos
Eger is in the middle of Hungary's vineyard region (between the Matra mountains and the Bukk range), 100 miles east of the capital, and is a popular destination for visitors. Eger is notably famous for being the stronghold against the Turks in the 16th century and for its famous red wine known as Bull's Blood. The legend has it that the Hungarian's drank loads of wine before battle and the marauding Turks saw their red, wine-stained beards and thought that it was bulls blood. There are numerous historic sites here (over 200 protected buildings) but many head straight for one of Eger's most famous; the 130ft minaret. 100 cramped steps take you to the top. Other historic sites in Eger's pedestrian centre include; Eger castle, cathedral, observatory, and many fine examples of Baroque architecture
The first church to be built on castle hill was that constructed for the bishopric of Eger which was founded by St. Stephen. It was succeeded by a cathedral built in the romanesque and gothic styles. The bishop's castle, which was fortified after the Tatar invasion of 1241, underwent continual improvement up until the beginning of the eighteenth century.
The name of Eger represents, for every Hungarian, the story of determined patriotism, when the outnumbered heroic defenders in the fortress, led by Istvan Dobo, held out against the Turks in their initial attack in 1552.
One of the country's oldest and most colourful cities, full of Baroque architecture and grand buildings, Eger has over 200 historical monuments, including the 14-sided, 128ft (40m) high minaret, a reminder of almost 100 years of Turkish rule, Eger Castle, the Copf-style Lyceum with a magnificent frescoed library, and the Archbishop's Cathedral containing the country's largest musical organ. The striking pink and white structure on Dobo Istvan square is the twin-towered Minorite Church, Hungary's most beautiful Baroque building.
Feher Szarvas Vadasztanya (White Stag Hunting Inn), located next door to the Park Hotel at Klapka street. a few blocks... more travel advice
If you travel by car or bus from Budapest there are two highways: Highway 25 (Kerecsend-ozd), and Highway 24... more travel advice
cobrioc's Related Pages
Eger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome To Eger"
- "Eger - I was delighted"
- "Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories"
- "Eger - baroque town with a minaret."
- "Ben-UK's Eger page"
- "Land of Wine, Women and Song"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eger
- Hotels in Eger
- Transportation in Eger
- Nightlife in Eger
- Restaurants in Eger
- Shopping in Eger
- Warnings and Dangers in Eger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eger
- 37 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Eger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eger
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 108 reviews, 174 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 54 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 47 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 37 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pecs Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eger Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Orlando Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Destin Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue