"Sahara Desert Trekking" Muhafazat Matruh by csordila
Muhafazat Matruh Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 389 photos
before the heat and the Oasis-mosquitoes arrive. Occasionally you may encounter the Gibli,
the Saharan Sirocco - a strong, hot, dust laden wind that can make travelling quite unpleasant.
An oasis can vary in size from about 2.5 acres for a tiny village to larger farm lands. At its hub is water, often in the form of natural springs, artesian wells or entire irrigation systems. The western desert has only 5 oasis.
About 75 percent of the Sahara's population live in oases, which make up only a tiny 800 square miles of the desert's vast sea of sand and gravel. The date palm is most characteristic of the vegetation that flourishes there.
The date palms grow at least 35 m tall, their regular, fierce green foliage is an enchanting sight.
Count Almasy the well known Hungarian desert researcher was a real person, while its character in the Oscar-winner film, The English patient, is mostly fictious.
It's easy to dismiss a desert as being sand, and nothing but mountains of sand. But, just like the less dry areas of Africa, the Sahara is a place of changing topography, from rocky stream beds to powdery piles of sand.
- Pros:The Sahara is like a Diva, which promises everything,......"
- Cons:....but hardly something holds!!!
The best time for visiting the Sahara is probably late autumn or early spring, at this time temperatures range from 15... more travel advice
csordila's Related Pages
Muhafazat Matruh Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Muhafazat Matruh
- Hotels in Muhafazat Matruh
- Transportation in Muhafazat Matruh
- Nightlife in Muhafazat Matruh
- Restaurants in Muhafazat Matruh
- Shopping in Muhafazat Matruh
- Warnings and Dangers in Muhafazat Matruh
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Muhafazat Matruh
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Muhafazat Matruh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muhafazat Matruh
Photos in Muhafazat MatruhSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 32 reviews, 115 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos
- Budapest Intro, 34 reviews, 89 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 94 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos