Hvar Things to Do Tips by csordila
Hvar Things to Do: 121 reviews and 239 photos
The cool water of the Adriatic
The island Hvar surrounded on almost every side by pebbles and boulders. These take the place of the beaches most Europeans are used to, you have to be lying out on the rocks, sunning yourself or swimming in the cool water of the Adriatic Sea.
Croatian Adriatic is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, boating, etc. but wear old sneakers when you get there. Maybe it does not look the best, but it will help you moving around the rocky and pebbly beaches either getting in or out of the water.
In many places, especially isolated beaches, you will find sea-urchins, which is another good reason to have some sort of a foot wear. But be glad when you see sea-urchins, it means the water is absolutely clean because they live only in especially clean waters.
There are no strong currents on the Adriatic, tides are low, high waves are rare, still you need to be careful. A specific danger presents many speed boats and jet-skiis.
The attitude to topless bathing is typically relaxed, in fact topless is practiced on every beach in Croatia and it is considered normal!!
Address: Town of Hvar
The fortress perched on a hill above the old town was built at the beginning of the 16th century (in the time of Venice). In 1579 it was restored after explosion of powder-chamber.
Its final appearance came after many reconstructions. During French rule some additional reinforcement building was done. The barracks and observation post were built during Austrian rule.
It hosts a prominent collection of amphorae and other objects from the ancient times and the Middle Ages. From the fortress toward the town square lead the city walls, built in the Middle Ages. There is a beautiful panorama view of the town of Hvar and Pakleni Islands from the fortress.
The Cathedral of St. Stephan stands on the eastern side of the main square. It was built on the site of an early 6th century church. Present appearance the Cathedral received in the 16th and 17th century. ( Picture 1 )
The arsenal was built in the 13th century. The theatre was built on the first floor of the arsenal about 400 years later. It is one of the oldest in Europe and the first municipal one as well. ( Picture 2 )
The Franciscan monastery was built in 15th century as a retreat for sailors. Within the monastery there are the artifacts exhibited in the monastery collection which is also the oldest on the island. It consists of paintings, manuscripts, old coins and incunabula. ( Picture 3 )
The town loggia and a clock tower from the 15th century together are the only remains of the former Governor's Palace. ( Picture 4 )
The Hektorovic Palace is one of the finest late Gothic houses. The building of the Palace started in 15th century but was never completed. ( Picture 5 )
More Reviews (5)
- Eating them alive, instead of cooking.
- Look out for dangerous creatures
- The most expensive beach in the Adriatic
csordila's Related Pages
Hvar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island full of hidden gems"
- "Hvar - holiday h'ven"
- "Hvar, Croatia"
- "The Island of Hvar"
- "Beautiful Havar"
- "Holiday 2008 Summer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hvar
- Hotels in Hvar
- Transportation in Hvar
- Nightlife in Hvar
- Restaurants in Hvar
- Shopping in Hvar
- Warnings and Dangers in Hvar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hvar
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Hvar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hvar
Photos in HvarSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 32 reviews, 115 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos
- Budapest Intro, 34 reviews, 89 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 94 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
- Beautiful Beaches and Coastline- 17 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Pakleni Islands- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- The Fortress (Citadel)- 12 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Day Trip to Blue Grotto and Vis Island- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Venetian Streets, Houses, and Architecture- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Franciscan Monastery- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Zavala- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Amazing Views- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Hvar Harbour- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
- St. Stephen's Cathedral- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Hvar Things to Do