"Capital of Modern Art and of Catalunya" Barcelona by csordila
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,538 reviews and 21,845 photos
All these will I give you, if falling down you will adore me..... (Gospel of Matthew 4:9)
Barcelona is well-known all over the world for its surreal designs by Gaudí and Miró but now has another avant-garde masterpiece - the unmissable sail-shaped W hotel building which is an eyecatching 26-storey skyscraper on the Barcelona coastline.
The creator of this vast vision of shimmering glass is the Barcelona-born post-modern architect Ricardo Bofill, who also has designed Barcelona’s new airport terminal recently.
The commonly known “Hotel La Vela” for its distinctive shape has a perfect location in Bocana Nova at the southern tip of the La Barceloneta beach, where Gaudi's city meets the Mediterranean Sea.
Barcelona W has a direct beach access, to promenade of La Barceloneta, within walking distance of the beaches pristine and the world famous La Rambla promenade. A fine selection of bars and first class restaurants in Port Vell are only a stone's throw away.
In 1900 Count Eusebi de Güell y Bacigalupi, a Catalan count bought a small rocky hillside property on El Carmel with little vegetation but with beautiful views of the harbor and asked Gaudi to create a miniature garden city.
Gaudi had created roads and walkways, steps and plazas with tiled benches curving around them, fascinating buildings, colonnades, viaducts, grottoes, etc. and two gatehouses, which are guarded by the best known symbol of the park, a dragon-like mosaic lizard.
You meet with it in various forms - refrigerator magnets, pot holders, coasters, post cards - in every Barcelona souvenir shop.
You can enter the park by the other entrance, which had a series of escalators to bring you to the top of the hill.
At the high vantage points of the Park you have one of the best views of Barcelona. more
Hotel Jazz is a 3 star hotel. It is very modern with central location. It is offered a panoramic view over the street... more travel advice
Barcelona is the capital of modernism, one place of the 20 century avantgarde art movement and one of the best examples... more travel advice
csordila's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 10 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Safari"
- Commented on one of adema29's Barcelona travel pages
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Capital of Modern Art and of Catalunya"
- Uploaded a Photo to "3 star hotel in the near of Placa Catalunya"
- Wrote a Review 3 star hotel in the near of Placa... in Barcelona Hotels
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 32 reviews, 115 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos
- Budapest Intro, 34 reviews, 89 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 94 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos