"South Tyrol" Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige by csordila
Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide: 1,114 reviews and 3,329 photos
as if I would be in the wilderness of "dolce far niente", and nothing would be my thing,
to sit only, to relax; thoroughly enjoying that whisper of the silence. read more
The lowest of the Alpine passes, Brenner Pass since roman times is the most important pass between Italy and central Europe crossing a rare break in the High Alps created by the valley of the river Sill.
There are three ways of traveling through it, an ordinary road, a motorway that is carried high above the valley isolating the traveler from the environment and the Brenner Railway between the Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck and Venice which has many bends, and trains can travel only slowly.
The extravagant motorway between Innsbruck and Bolzano was constructed in the early 1970s.
The Dolomites - an arresting rocky top of Italy - serve as amazing and sunny Alpine experiences. Its snow-covered peaks and green meadows offer great relaxation.
South Tyrol feels both culturally and geographically Austrian. Even a part of Austria is named after the small village Tirol near the second-largest town of Meran once the capital of the Austrian region of Tirol, that is now actually in Italy.
The cranky German-speaking locals speak German first, some of them do not speak a correct Italian. Many wish they were still Austrian. However, also the local prices attest, South Tyrol is one of Italy's richest areas.
According to the last census, from the total population of half million are 70% of German native speakers, 26% of Italian speakers, and 4% of Ladin. The Italian-speaking minority, immigrated mainly from the south after the Great War, is living in the Bolzano area.
The climate on hot summers is more than pleasant here. It is really great to escape from the sweltering heat into cool evenings where everyone should wear at least sweaters.
Never forget, here you are almost always a guest at first, not a customer. Some tourists think locals wait desperately... more travel advice
. The lowest ( 1.374 m ) of the Alpine passes, Brenner Pass since roman times is the most important north-south route... more travel advice
csordila's Related Pages
Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welschnofen - Nova Levante"
- "Just Barely Italy & First Dolomites Impressions"
- "Trentino Alto Adige."
- "Summer Time in the Dolomites"
- "South Tyrol"
- "The best place in the world"
- "Trentino-Alto Adige / Sudtirol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Hotels in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Transportation in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Nightlife in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Restaurants in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Shopping in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Warnings and Dangers in Trentino-Alto Adige
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trentino-Alto Adige
- 12 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Trentino-Alto Adige?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trentino-Alto Adige
Photos in Trentino-Alto AdigeSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 32 reviews, 115 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos
- Budapest Intro, 34 reviews, 89 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 94 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos