"South Tyrol" Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige by csordila

Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide: 1,073 reviews and 3,147 photos

Being surrounded by mountains it makes me feel,
as if I would be in the wilderness of "dolce far niente", and nothing would be my thing,
to sit only, to relax; thoroughly enjoying that whisper of the silence
. read more

Brenner Pass

The lowest of the Alpine passes, Brenner Pass since roman times is the most important pass between Italy and central Europe crossing a rare break in the High Alps created by the valley of the river Sill.
There are three ways of traveling through it, an ordinary road, a motorway that is carried high above the valley isolating the traveler from the environment and the Brenner Railway between the Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck and Venice which has many bends, and trains can travel only slowly.
The extravagant motorway between Innsbruck and Bolzano was constructed in the early 1970s.
The Dolomites - an arresting rocky top of Italy - serve as amazing and sunny Alpine experiences. Its snow-covered peaks and green meadows offer great relaxation.

Yodeling and Yogurt

South Tyrol feels both culturally and geographically Austrian. Even a part of Austria is named after the small village Tirol near the second-largest town of Meran once the capital of the Austrian region of Tirol, that is now actually in Italy.
The cranky German-speaking locals speak German first, some of them do not speak a correct Italian. Many wish they were still Austrian. However, also the local prices attest, South Tyrol is one of Italy's richest areas.
According to the last census, from the total population of half million are 70% of German native speakers, 26% of Italian speakers, and 4% of Ladin. The Italian-speaking minority, immigrated mainly from the south after the Great War, is living in the Bolzano area.
The climate on hot summers is more than pleasant here. It is really great to escape from the sweltering heat into cool evenings where everyone should wear at least sweaters.

• Last visit to Trentino-Alto Adige: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Nice page on this lovely area of Italy!

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info. Last night I was thinking about visiting here, and now I find your pages :).

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Laszlo, thank you for your wonderful and concise sory about that region... It is worth visiting indeed! ><><><><><

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Laszlo, lovely little page about this "wanderful" region in the north of Italy. Just after Christmas we visited Meran and Dorf Tirol.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 11:16 AM

In Brenner Pass we encountered a snow storm in May once. Tyrol is my favorite place for green and scenery. My trip to desert areas in Utah & Arizona parks, also were wonderful scenes of rock colors and landscape. Remote near Kanab area and Natural Bridges

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Hey Laszlo, is there more to come? What I read is really very informative and thoroughly researched. I love Südtirol! Just do not agree with you saying: Speak Italian. Better you recommend: Learn German ;-)))) Thank you! Sissi

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 3:36 AM

I always say "Non parlo ancora Italiano" -- which sounds hopeful. My experience in Alto Adige is that the Italian speakers want their children to learn German because you have to be bilingual to get a good job. Great photo with the Goethe poem!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I see there's another VTer who is building a page over the region where I live. Ciao!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 9:54 AM

wow, look at the clouds on that mountain! I see you are developing your Trentino pages...have a nice day! Norman :)

csordila

“I won't tell the story the way it happened, I'll tell it the way I remember it.”

Badges & Stats in Trentino-Alto Adige

Have you been to Trentino-Alto Adige?

Latest Activity in Trentino-Alto Adige