"I'm going back to San Francisco" San Francisco by Kaikoura
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,421 photos
Seldom do I find the real thing better than the fantasy. Next to Neuchwanstein Castle, San Francisco I would say is the second best real place that did not disappoint me. I am not sure but I think the melting of the old and the modern makes SF stand out from the rest.
Having had a strong Hollywood influence with so many movies made within the city itself; it has captured many a hearts of even those from far away places. I suppose the main objects that spring to my mind when the name San Francisco comes to mind is the "Golden Gate Bridge" so well known even my little niece knows about the bridge more than I do. Then of course there's this island portrayed as inescapable. To walk the length of the prison building at Alcatraz is not simply a walk back in history; it encompasses a lot of feelings once you're there. Your mind run riots as to what might have happened in one particular cell or when a prisoner managed to dodged the guards and all the security of that little island. At the end of the tour, I was starting to feel pretty exhausted. But there still the tram to go onto and the most crooked street to drive through...
SF offers more than just history, there's so much to absorb around you. The twists and turns of the bus or the tram give's you a different vista all the time. The old colourful houses that lines the narrow streets and taking as many angles of the Painted Ladies as you can is like taking a part of SF with you home. As you wind along the road on your way up the top of the Twin Peaks you realize just how pretty the city is. Once up the top you can just sit and dangle your feet as you soak in the view from one famous bridge to the other not so well known "Bay Bridge" but in my eyes the more interesting of the two and all the city in between. In the city, I have enjoyed craning my neck out enjoying and admiring the shapes and shades of the tall buildings that gives the spaces between them feel even narrower.
I've waited for a time to witness the ever famous fog enveloping the bay; alas it never came while we were there. There's so much more to see and three nights in this vibrant city of old and the new is just not enough...so I'll have to go back to SF.
- Pros:Beautiful City, loads of things to see and do..
- Cons:very expensive and people are not so friendly
- In a nutshell:I think SF has a charm particular to her, I'd love to go back to see more and learn more...
Kaikoura's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Turkish visa requirement for..."
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "I'm going back to San Francisco"
- Uploaded a Photo to "I'm going back to San Francisco"
- Wrote a Review Layover at San Francisco International about Information / Sources in San Francisco Favorites
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Philippines Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Zealand Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Auckland Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- North Island 1 review, 4 photos
- Apia Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- France Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Australia Intro, 3 photos
- Germany Intro, 1 photo