"It's never too late..." Kaikoura's Profile
10 July 2008
I was a young girl when I first saw a picture of Neuschwanstein Castle. For a child who hasn't seen any, not to mention not having travelled farther than Manila, I grew up thinking Neuschwanstein will always be just a dream, something unattainable, almost impossible. A dream that will never come true.
It might seem odd for others to find there are people like me who would think this way. Yet I am just one of the many millions of people who grew up in far flung provinces where the news in the main city today will not be heard for at least a week or so in my village. That was, by the way, during my time as a child. The advent of electricity and soon the proliferation of TV sets in villages (or barangays in my dialect) brought the villages into the current scene.
Going to the city was one of the biggest thrills in my life as a child ignoring the very ardous day or two of rough, I mean very rough, and accident prone roads. There were times we had to ride on a truck (full of sacks of newly harvested rice) all the way from my village to Ilocos and then finally to Manila. Yet that to me was such an adventure and I thought I must be one of the luckiest people on earth for I have travelled that long at that early age. How little did I know then.
My aunt, who unfortunately passed away last week, had a collection of pocketbooks that I use to pinch and hide so I could read them. I wasn't supposed to read them I was instructed. I guess the more you are told you can't; the more you want to find out why you can't.
That was how I became acquainted with the existence of Castles, of Royalties, and of places I could only imagine.
I still have not seen Neuschwanstein Castle and I am now almost a grandmother. The only difference I guess is that I now know it is not going to be just a dream but one that can come true.
A very big part of my life was spent in relationships that did not allow me to be my own person nor travel to places I longed to see. I guess I have finally learnt one or two of life's greatest lessons: "we can't change people but we can change ourselves"...and "if you want something badly, you'll find a way and you'll make it happen".
Two years ago I turned my life around. I gave up a comfortable life in exchange for my independence. And though I have less, much much less now (material stuffs), I feel I am doubly blessed! Doubly blessed by the changes I have seen in me, the courage I have mustered, the experiences, the people and new friends I have met, the lessons I have learned...
God created such a beautiful world out there for us to see, to admire, to enjoy, to learn from. Sometimes we only need to hear one word, see one gesture, or meet one person.
In my case, one picture to open the doors to the corners of our beautiful world! Yes, it was my Neuschwanstein picture that captured my heart as a child. I thought it died with my childhood. But more than two years ago I came to know a dear friend from that land of castles and great palaces and reminded me there is a child in us...maybe the child in me still longs to see Neuchswanstein... It's never too late...
07 April 2010
It is more than a year now since I was in Neuchwanstein. The short whirlwind trip I had in Europe will remain etched in my mind. The long flight was all worth it and I am glad my childhood dreams laid dormant all those years.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 15 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Commented on Odinnthor's profile page
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Turkish visa requirement for..."
- Kaikoura and rosata are now friends.
- created a Australia Travel Page "New South Wales"
- Uploaded a Photo to "New South Wales"
- Wrote a Review Baggage Allowance Ex NZ in New Zealand Favorites
updated their Profile Page "It's never too late..."
- Uploaded a Video to Vancouver
Top 10 Pages
- Philippines Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Zealand Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Auckland Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- North Island 1 review, 4 photos
- Apia Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- France Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Australia Intro, 3 photos
- Germany Intro, 1 photo
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos