Angeles City Local Custom Tips by GenuinelyCurious
Angeles City Local Customs: 9 reviews and 18 photos
Praying for forgiveness
Flagellants scourge themselves with ropes tipped with glass rods designed to eat away at their bare backs as they walk barefoot under the hot summer sun. City of Angels magazine states they "do this as a means of atoned for their sins. It is a sort of retribution of their offenses and human weaknesses for past favor such as after going through some crisis or danger in their lives."
But so many young kids get into miming their elders that one wonders whether this isn't just some sort of stunt or rite of passage for the people of San Pedro.
WARNING: real blood does splatter onlookers. In these time of dangerous blood-borne diseases, please take precautions.
After the main event, the open field cleared fairly quickly except for the most dedicated adherents. Some of these, garbed as nuns seemed to meditate on the meaning of the day and those recently crucified sought medical treatment for their wounds. A second group of crucified also had their turn at the cross, while many of the local tourists also laid down for a photo opportunity.
Penitents portraying fellow crucified are roped to the cross by Filipinos in Roman garb. As each are hoisted aloft, one of the Roman spear-bearers reenacted cutting their victims. When “Jesus” was getting ready to be crucified, older “Romans” doused his hands with alcohol and carefully placed the nails for his hands. A single pop from the hammer set the nail in the flesh, drawing blood and a wince of pain.
Roman officials hoisted the cross aloft for the crowd to see. They reenact the stabbing with spears of the crucified. What must have been agonizing minutes later, the victims were released by either returning the cross down to horizontal or by being wound in swaddling and lowered gently.
Several people dressed in simple robes knelt before the cross and variously prayed in silence, shouted to the heavens, covered themselves with dust or raised arms. These acolytes didn't seem bent on the same kind of self-destruction evident among others and their religious fervor seemed sincere.
Pentients and flagellants near Cutud's church
The 3 kilometer Via Cruces (way of the Crosses) re-enacts the path Christ took on the way to the crucifixion. The event’s intent is to invoke for the faithful Christ’s passion that ended his worldly journey in pain and suffering while the faithful pray for days straight over loudspeakers in the surrounding Cutud area neighborhoods.
The individuals that participate may have any response from religious to amusement to shock to commercial opportunism. The event is surrounded by locals, Filipino and international tourists as well as hawkers of all kinds of services… the water sellers were particularly welcome in the scorching hot day.
GenuinelyCurious' Related Pages
Angeles City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NOT REALLY MY TYPE OF PLACE"
- "Angeles city is motley ..."
- "Angeles City, Philippines"
- "Angeles City/Clark - Province of Pampanga"
- "Angeles City- "Red Light of the Philippines""
- "Just a relaxed recover"
- "Angeles City. Philippines!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angeles City
- Hotels in Angeles City
- Transportation in Angeles City
- Nightlife in Angeles City
- Restaurants in Angeles City
- Shopping in Angeles City
- Warnings and Dangers in Angeles City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angeles City
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Angeles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angeles City
- Posted in Travel Province of Palawan Forum "Re: P. Princesa, El Nido or Coron??"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Anatomy of a crucifixion"
- created a Angeles City Travelogue "Anatomy of a crucifixion"
- Wrote a Review The aftermath in Angeles City Local Customs
- Commented on one of Travel2write's Angeles City travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Sabah Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camiguin Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Kalinga-Apayao Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Angeles City Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic 6 reviews, 17 photos
- El Nido Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- China Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos