Province of Kalinga-Apayao Local Custom Tips by GenuinelyCurious
Province of Kalinga-Apayao Local Customs: 3 reviews and 7 photos
We were all minding our own business, when these two birds starting going at it. The villagers paid it absolutely no attention, and one of the kids laughed that I was taking pictures…
Kalinga ladies on their way to work rice fields
“Do people in your country eat food?” I was surprised, but patted my ample, American-sized belly and said yes. We eat every day. In fact some of us eat too much. Oh, but do you eat RICE?? So, rice is food. Given that, I had to explain that Americans typically eat bread and potatoes ahead of rice, but yes, we eat rice.
Rice is so important, it is food. The daily life is organized around it. Some of the greetings, like “have you eaten rice today” underlies the hospitality and caring of people. And in the recent rice shortages in the Philippines, the presidency of Gloria Arroyo was threatened. I can’t say I really relate, until I think about the glories of fresh-baked bread, especially my beloved San Francisco sourdough. There is something so primary about it that it has become in my culture the staff of life. And so it is with rice.
This lady has suffered a stroke that paralyzed the right half of her body. Since she never married and therefore has no children, cousins take care of her day to day needs. There are a number of herbal remedies that I’ve heard of, from the (see pic) betel nut that is supposed to provide oral health to the use of various leaves to staunch bleeding and promote healing. In desperate situations, a trip to the hospital in Bontoc (2 hours away by jeepney) can wipe out a family financially. They have to sell a caribou (water buffalo) or even their house.
More Reviews (6)
GenuinelyCurious' Related Pages
Province of Kalinga-Apayao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kalinga – way off the beaten track"
- "Kalinga Province... one of Cordillera's Jewels"
- "Cordillera Festival2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- Transportation in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- See All...
Explore the World
- Raymond Hotels
- Bhadson Hotels
- Porticello Hotels
- Paços de Ferreira
- Bancal Hotels
- Sint Maarten
Badges & Stats in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Province of Kalinga-Apayao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- Posted in Travel Province of Palawan Forum "Re: P. Princesa, El Nido or Coron??"
- Commented on one of GenuinelyCurious's Province of Kalinga-Apayao travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "See the rice terraces"
- Wrote a Review Whitewater rafting on the Chico in Province of Kalinga-Apayao Things to Do
- created a Province of Kalinga-Apayao Travel Page "Kalinga – way off the beaten track"
Photos in Province of Kalinga-ApayaoSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Sabah Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camiguin Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Kalinga-Apayao Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Angeles City Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Nido Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- China Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos