"Kalinga – way off the beaten track" Province of Kalinga-Apayao by GenuinelyCurious
Province of Kalinga-Apayao Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 42 photos
Most people who go to the Cordillera mountain region of North Luzon will visit the rice terraces of Banaue and/or the peaceful mountain retreat of Sagada. If you read Lonely Planet, they say the area is rugged, inaccessible and maybe even dangerous. The rugged part is right – it takes hours to get up to the villages outside the main tourist area of Tinglayen, but in Tinglayen, the toilets flush, there is 24-hour electricity and it is possible to get all your basic necessities catered to. The villages are still ‘unspoiled’ by too many visitors, but no doubt that will change in the decade to come. Intrepid travelers might make the journey sooner, rather than later. It’s basically about 90 minutes further than Sagada and worlds away…though you might have to ride on the roof of the jeepney to get there.
Didn’t see one, as far as I know. But the chat is that there are still long-standing blood feuds and revenge killing that occurs between tribes, usually in a dispute over water rights, hunting rights or other territorial transgressions.
- Pros:Authentic, unspoiled
- Cons:Rugged and physically challenging
- In a nutshell:Great destination for adventure travelers
The kids of the villages shouted something like “El Cano” when I came along. I have to assume it means something like... more travel advice
This guy is clearly older, and my guide says he’s 100. He smokes, and still works carving little pipes and has been a... more travel advice
GenuinelyCurious' Related Pages
Province of Kalinga-Apayao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kalinga – way off the beaten track"
- "Kalinga Province... one of Cordillera's Jewels"
- "Cordillera Festival2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- Transportation in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Province of Kalinga-Apayao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Kalinga-Apayao
- Posted in Travel Province of Palawan Forum "Re: P. Princesa, El Nido or Coron??"
- Commented on one of GenuinelyCurious's Province of Kalinga-Apayao travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "See the rice terraces"
- Wrote a Review Whitewater rafting on the Chico in Province of Kalinga-Apayao Things to Do
- created a Province of Kalinga-Apayao Travel Page "Kalinga – way off the beaten track"
Photos in Province of Kalinga-ApayaoSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Sabah Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camiguin Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Kalinga-Apayao Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Angeles City Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Nido Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- China Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos