"Eastern Crete - getting away from the crowds" Crete Island by MikeBird
Crete Island Travel Guide: 1,459 reviews and 3,877 photos
August probably isn't the best time of year to see Crete in all its glory but we'd promised our 15 year old daughter she would have a hot summer holiday this year and having found some good places to stay, courtesy of the web, made Crete an appropriate choice for our 2009 family holiday.
Staying in two different village locations, we were able to explore different parts of this beautiful island that were off the main tourist trail but definitely worth visiting.
Our first week was spent on the far eastern side of the island just outside the town of Siteia in the village of Piskachefalo. We rented a small traditional house in this typically Cretan location with its very narrow streets, hill top church and square with tavernas.
For the second week we moved on to the smaller hillside village of Monastiraki which over looks the valley that forms the 'waist' of Crete - it's narrowest point of about 15kms. The valley had old Minoan ruins at Vasiliki and the less sightly plastic greenhouses but the views from our villa, particularly at dusk overlooking the bay and the mountains, were a wonderful setting.
Both locations are in the Lasithi prefecture of the island. If you like to avoid the crowds of the busier resorts on the north coast then the eastern end of Crete may perhaps be the place for you.
My one disappointment was that August, it seems, is poor for birdwatching. Maybe we should book a return visit in May or October?
- Pros:Beautiful bays, marvellous Minoans, fantastic food
- Cons:August - poor for birdwatching
- In a nutshell:Crete offers something for everyone
It seems that many Greek towns, including those on the island of Crete, have their tame White Pelican often to be found... more travel advice
Once you reach the waterfront in Sitia you'll spot the long sandy beach curving around the bay to the east. It's a very... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Crete Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- "The REAL and IDEAL PaRaDiSe!"
- "Alternative Crete."
- "Crete - the place to be"
- "1 week, 1100 kilometres"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crete Island
- Hotels in Crete Island
- Transportation in Crete Island
- Nightlife in Crete Island
- Restaurants in Crete Island
- Shopping in Crete Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Crete Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crete Island
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Crete Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crete Island
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Reykjavik hotels?"
- Commented on one of gkaralakis's Crete Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pelicans in Harbours in Crete Island Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pelicans in Harbours"
- updated a Crete Island Travel Page "Eastern Crete - getting away from the crowds"
Photos in Crete IslandSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Madagascar Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos
- Muscat Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos