"Step back in time at Haapsalu" Top 5 Page for this destination Haapsalu by MikeBird

Haapsalu Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 301 photos

How to avoid crowds: visit Haapsalu in September

This historic town situated in a sheltered bay in western Estonia has a number of interesting places to explore including the Bishops Palace, the railway station - now a museum, and the promenade from where this photo was taken on a warm September evening.

What I found remarkable was that it was Saturday night and yet very few people were to be seen out on the streets. Admittedly we were there around 7pm but there was hardly a soul to be seen. Later it became clear that perhaps part of the reason is there are very few restaurants for the visitor and perhaps the locals choose to stay at home. Never mind I enjoyed our stroll on the prom, our exploration of the empty castle grounds and the brief visit to see the engines and carriages at the train museum.

Visit my separate tips for more details.

• Pros:Lovely architecture; relaxed pace
  • Cons:Few restaurants
  • In a nutshell:Worth at least one days visit
  • Last visit to Haapsalu: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I was close. My guess was that the town was in Finland. I believe the two languages are the same, or at least very similar.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2015 at 11:54 AM

When I visited it was early April, and no crowds either. It was a nice daytrip from Tallinn!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for sharing this town I hadn't heard of! The Bishop's Castle looks interesting!

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Badges & Stats in Haapsalu

Have you been to Haapsalu?