"Woodbridge: perfect for a short break in Suffolk" Woodbridge by MikeBird

Woodbridge Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 53 photos

How to relax and do lots

For my wife's birthday treat and to celebrate her promotion I decided we should go away for a few days. We'd asked our two remaining teenage children if they wanted to come with us and both said "No - they were busy" so I booked up the most expensive place I could find and really pushed the boat out. We did all of the things that we enjoy most and that they would not have liked. Things like tracking down my great Uncle's old blacksmith's forge, birdwatching, riverside walks and visiting the burial sites of ancient East Anglians. Meanwhile back at home my son continued to play on computer games and my daughter went to sleepovers. I think I know who had more fun! Luckily we were not confronted with too much mess when we returned and so we could be tempted to do this sort of thing again.........

Visit my tips below to find out more about the places we visited and the things we did.

Seckford Hall Hotel

We stayed at the Seckford Hall Hotel and found that it's worth visiting even if only for a cup of tea. Dating back to Elizabethan times (that's the first Queen Elizabeth) there are interesting paintings and Tudor decor.

River Deben landscapes

The riverside walk is lovely when the sun is shining.

• Pros:Plenty of places around to see
  • Cons:Unpredictable weather
  • In a nutshell:Ideal for a couple without kids
  • Last visit to Woodbridge: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2009

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM

I don't believe it!!! My mother was born in Woodbridge!!!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM

YOu were correct in stating it is a place to relax. what wonderful looking sites, and Seckford Hall hotel a real treat, even though I may only want to stay in the basement if we get there. Nice presentation.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Great chance to see the place my father's eldest brother ended up moving to. My grandmother's mother was Suffolk born and a couple of years ago my daughter drove me round all the W villages where they'd lived. Nice county.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

That looks like a scenic fishing village. Great photos, and thanks for taking a look at my Yellowstone page. ~Joe

MikeBird

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Badges & Stats in Woodbridge

Have you been to Woodbridge?