"Siracusa: a Sicilian gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa by MikeBird
Siracusa Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 942 photos
I couldn't possibly hope to encapsulate the wonderful history of this ancient city and port. Much has been written about it and so I suggest you visit other websites to acquire a fuller and more detailed summary but in essence Syracusa was, from the 8th century BC, a major Greek colony - Archimedes was born and lived here - before being ransacked by the Romans. They in turn were overrun by Barbarians and later Byzantines, Arabs and Normans. Following a major earthquake in 1693 much of the city was rebuilt in the Baroque style. With such a diverse range of influences it's hardly surprising that the city is a fascinating place to visit with plenty to interest the visitor.
- Pros:Steeped in history and atmosphere
- In a nutshell:Indulge yourself in the atmosphere of this place
The Paolo Orsi Archaeological Museum, located on Viale Teocrito opposite the Lacrime Basilica in Siracusa, provides some... more travel advice
We were delighted to find that the small, old city of Ortigyia had been decorated with some really pleasing and... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Siracusa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siracusa UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Sunny Syracuse"
- "Siracusa: a Sicilian gem"
- "... a staircase to heaven"
- "Something for everyone"
- "There is plenty to see and eat in Siracusa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siracusa
- Hotels in Siracusa
- Transportation in Siracusa
- Nightlife in Siracusa
- Restaurants in Siracusa
- Shopping in Siracusa
- Warnings and Dangers in Siracusa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siracusa
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Siracusa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siracusa
- Posted in Travel Malawi Forum "Re: Road conditions and police..."
- Commented on one of rosata's Siracusa travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Siracusa Archaeological Museum in Siracusa Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the Siracusa Archaeological Museum"
- updated a Siracusa Travel Page "Siracusa: a Sicilian gem"
Photos in SiracusaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Madagascar Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guyana Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Muscat Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos