"Dakar" Dakar by MikeBird

Dakar Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 456 photos

Ile de Gorée & Dakar City

The one place we managed to visit at the end of our business trip to Dakar was Ile de Gorée. It's very touristy but do try to take the boat out there. It's humbling to visit the Maison des Esclaves. For me it was the thought that the rich traders could have been living in their comfort and opulence whilst directly beneath them in the cells below were the poor captives waiting to be shipped off to God knows what. How could they have ignored the cries of the people below whilst they ate their meals and slept in their comfortable beds?

I can't say much about Dakar because I didn't really see much of it except to say the traffic was amazing and the buses, like in many African cities overcrowded and ruthless in trying to catch their customers. Their trademark is the fantastically painted blue and gold exteriors. You can buy handcrafted models of them made out of recycled scraps. The one I bought my son had aerosol tops for wheels! I just love the inventiveness and ingenuity of Africans.
The( rather poor quality) photo gives you a flavour of life in Dakar city.

• Last visit to Dakar: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 29, 2008

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM

These photo's capture the aura of the place I have to say and your words so true.

MikeBird

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Badges & Stats in Dakar