"Dakar" Dakar by MikeBird
Dakar Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 255 photos
The one place we managed to visit at the end of our business trip to Dakar was Ile de Gorée. It's very touristy but do try to take the boat out there. It's humbling to visit the Maison des Esclaves. For me it was the thought that the rich traders could have been living in their comfort and opulence whilst directly beneath them in the cells below were the poor captives waiting to be shipped off to God knows what. How could they have ignored the cries of the people below whilst they ate their meals and slept in their comfortable beds?
I can't say much about Dakar because I didn't really see much of it except to say the traffic was amazing and the buses, like in many African cities overcrowded and ruthless in trying to catch their customers. Their trademark is the fantastically painted blue and gold exteriors. You can buy handcrafted models of them made out of recycled scraps. The one I bought my son had aerosol tops for wheels! I just love the inventiveness and ingenuity of Africans.
The( rather poor quality) photo gives you a flavour of life in Dakar city.
MikeBird's Related Pages
Dakar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dakar... not what you would think!!!"
- "Chaotic, Charming and Colourful - Bustling Dakar"
- "Dakar - The Western Tip of Africa"
- "A Visit to Lac Rose"
- "West Africa capital..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dakar
- Hotels in Dakar
- Transportation in Dakar
- Nightlife in Dakar
- Restaurants in Dakar
- Shopping in Dakar
- Warnings and Dangers in Dakar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dakar
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Dakar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dakar
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos