Boulogne-sur-Mer Things to Do Tips by MikeBird Top 5 Page for this destination
Boulogne-sur-Mer Things to Do: 49 reviews and 127 photos
Walking off the midday meal
After a pleasant lunch what better than to take a stroll with friends around the ancient fortified walls? There are four gates into the old town of Boulogne and the walls connect up with all four of them. Being raised up you also get good views into the town and beyond it.
The ancient gates in the walls are impressive structures and you can easily imagine them being the main way of controlling movements in and out of the city in days long gone. ( see the second photo.)
Boulogne's kitchen garden
In the middle of the old town is the old square much of which has been given over to a display of kitchen gardening - french style. There are all sorts of vegetable and salads being grown, all tastefully presented and with interpretation boards in French and English.
We couldn't help feeling that this sort of display would not have been possible in England for fear of vandalism but maybe that is a little unfair.
It helped that the sun was shining and the plants all looked splendid. We liked the wicker figure as well. - see the photo.
I wonder who benefitted from the vegetables - hopefully some needy residents of the town.
The imposing cathedral that towers over the city and seen for miles around is called the Notre Dame de Boulogne. Its most distinctive feature is its enormous tower which is stretched and then capped with a dome.
There are crypts below although we didn't pay the extra to visit these. The guidebook says that these are some of the largest in France.
We felt that much of the Cathedral was in urgent need of maintenance with drips from the ceiling caught by well placed buckets and plaster peeling off the walls.
Still it was well worth stopping by and looking inside. The tower from underneath with its starry decoration was particularly impressive.
More Reviews (2)
MikeBird's Related Pages
Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boulogne: an international town"
- "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- "Waterworld - Nausicaa"
- "A well known beach!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Transportation in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Nightlife in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Shopping in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- See All...
Explore the World
- Craigville Beach Hotels
- Key Colony Beach Hotels
- Ballybunnion Hotels
- Hog Island Hotels
- Provincia de Cabo Delgado
Badges & Stats in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Boulogne-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: 10 day tour from Milan"
- updated a Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Page "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- Commented on one of grets's Boulogne-sur-Mer travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Notre Dame de Boulogne in Boulogne-sur-Mer Things to Do
Photos in Boulogne-sur-MerSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Kas Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
Latest Boulogne-sur-Mer hotel reviews
- Hotel Clery Chateau d'Hesdin l'Abbe
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne Vieille Ville
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel de La Matelote
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Hotel Metropole
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Etap Hotel Boulougne Sur Mer - Centre Ville les Ponts
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne / Mer Centre Port
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013