"Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France" Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer by MikeBird
Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 369 photos
I'd found a really good day trip fare and so quickly booked for four adults and a car. There is a Leclerc hypermarket within about 10 minutes drive from the port. It had all the usual French goodies that we wanted to sample and a canteen style restaurant that looked like excellent value for money. We'd had a full meal at lunchtime so didn't need anything else but it is worth remembering for future - more economy orientated - visits.
Boulogne is a really attractive town/city and port. It has the old quarter with its fortifications and historic castle all overshadowed by the impressive cathedral with its massive and elongated dome.
There is much to see here: Nausicaa - the large Aquarium, the Castle and Museum, the Bell Tower, but if you're limited for time, as we were, it was just great to wander up towards the Cathedral, find a suitable restaurant for lunch, saunter round the old walls and then head back to the port after a visit to the hypermarket loaded up with bottles of wine and delicious french foods.
Enjoy the day - we certainly did.
- Pros:Great for day trips - better than EuroCité
- In a nutshell:Why not stay for longer?
The imposing cathedral that towers over the city and seen for miles around is called the Notre Dame de Boulogne. Its... more travel advice
PLEASE NOTE: SPEEDFERRIES HAVE NOW GONE OUT OF BUSINESS (April 2009). THE ROUTE HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY LD LINES. I... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boulogne: an international town"
- "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- "Waterworld - Nausicaa"
- "Our day trip to France !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Transportation in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Nightlife in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Shopping in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Boulogne-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Train Information"
- updated a Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Page "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- Commented on one of grets's Boulogne-sur-Mer travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Notre Dame de Boulogne in Boulogne-sur-Mer Things to Do
Photos in Boulogne-sur-MerSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Malawi Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
Latest Boulogne-sur-Mer hotel reviews
- Hotel Clery Chateau d'Hesdin l'Abbe
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel de La Matelote
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Etap Hotel Boulougne Sur Mer - Centre Ville les Ponts
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne / Mer Centre Port
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Metropole
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne Vieille Ville
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013