"Accra, Capital city of Ghana" Accra by MikeBird

Accra Travel Guide: 289 reviews and 760 photos

Exciting and vibrant Accra

Back in 2004 I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to visit Ghana with my work. It was to be only a short visit but we had a day before our meetings started which gave me a chance to see something of the city and surroundings.
We hired a taxi from our hotel and was given a guided tour around the sights of Accra which included a visit to the craft market. You need to be very resilient in that place and I thought some of the stall holders were too pushy. Still I did manage to buy an extremely nice necklace for my wife - probably paid way over the odds but it was still a reasonable price to me.

The Independence Arch near to the sea front is quite an impressive monument to the country's success in becoming independent from Britain. Kwame Nkrumah was the first President back in 1957. The Park containing the arch is kept neat and tidy which is more than can be said for the public beach nearby.

We later went onto Aburi and it's well known Gardens. See my tip below.

At a busy crossroads in what seemed a fairly central part of Accra we stopped and was amazed to see these fruit bats wheeling around. They were big ( wingspan about 1m) believe me - even if the photo gives no indication of scale.

• Pros:Welcome to a vibrant African city .....
  • Cons:choose the parts you visit carefully
  • In a nutshell:There is more to Ghana than Accra
  • Last visit to Accra: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2008

Comments

MikeBird

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Badges & Stats in Accra