"Accra, Capital city of Ghana" Accra by MikeBird
Accra Travel Guide: 289 reviews and 760 photos
Back in 2004 I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to visit Ghana with my work. It was to be only a short visit but we had a day before our meetings started which gave me a chance to see something of the city and surroundings.
We hired a taxi from our hotel and was given a guided tour around the sights of Accra which included a visit to the craft market. You need to be very resilient in that place and I thought some of the stall holders were too pushy. Still I did manage to buy an extremely nice necklace for my wife - probably paid way over the odds but it was still a reasonable price to me.
The Independence Arch near to the sea front is quite an impressive monument to the country's success in becoming independent from Britain. Kwame Nkrumah was the first President back in 1957. The Park containing the arch is kept neat and tidy which is more than can be said for the public beach nearby.
We later went onto Aburi and it's well known Gardens. See my tip below.
At a busy crossroads in what seemed a fairly central part of Accra we stopped and was amazed to see these fruit bats wheeling around. They were big ( wingspan about 1m) believe me - even if the photo gives no indication of scale.
- Pros:Welcome to a vibrant African city .....
- Cons:choose the parts you visit carefully
- In a nutshell:There is more to Ghana than Accra
The Gardens are within easy reach of Accra located north of the city on a ridge of high land, 23kms and about 1hours... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Accra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Accra, sóóó Ghana"
- "My beloved Accra"
- "Accra, the capital of Ghana"
- "Capital of Ghana"
- "Ghana: respect, my brotha!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Accra
- Hotels in Accra
- Transportation in Accra
- Nightlife in Accra
- Restaurants in Accra
- Shopping in Accra
- Warnings and Dangers in Accra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Accra
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Accra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Accra
Photos in AccraSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos