"There's so much to see in Paris ......." Paris by MikeBird

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Three days in February

There was never going to be enough time but our short family holiday with two of my three teenage children turned out to be a real success. My daughter had always thought Paris and the Eiffel Tower must be one of the things to see before you die. I don't think she was disappointed.

We did all of the usual touristy things like the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, boat ride on the Seine, Sacre Coeur and Pigalle, the Tuilieries, Place de la Concorde up the Champs Elysées to the Arc de Triomphe. We walked for most of the way which is another reason why Paris is good for a short stay as it's possible to easily find your way to the major sights. I was pleased however to find my teenagers soon got the hang of finding their way around the Métro.

We were delighted with our apartments - near to the Eiffel Tower and 30 storey's up so we had brilliant views over the city. Best of all we secured them for a quarter of the listed price thanks to our Supermarket's Loyalty card scheme.

Travelling on Eurostar was a first for us and we enjoyed the smooth and comfortable ride without any of the fuss and waiting around at airports.

Over the next few weeks I'll be adding tips to my Paris page so if you're thinking of travelling there, looking for apartments and travelling by Eurostar from London drop by - some of it may be helpful. In planning this trip I certainly found the tips of fellow VTers very useful.

• Pros:Something for everyone
  • Cons:High prices
  • In a nutshell:You'll not run out of things to see and do
  • Last visit to Paris: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2009

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Great page on Paris. I too only had a couple of days when I went to Paris. I definitely hope to visit it again soon. :)

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Great pics of Le tour ;-) You had a nice apartment! This old timer is so famous yet modestly priced. In Dubai, on-the-spot tickets up Burj Khalifa cost 80 GBP! I guess you know Eiffel was supposed to be a temporary exhibition structure!!

• Court94403's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Beautiful pic, nice tips too. Thanks for visiting my pages.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Hi Mike, No Banded Mongooses were spotted in Chobe, but Anne and I sit and enjoy a glass of wine in July from almost the exact spot you took that photo of the Eiffel Tower from Palais de Chaillot!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I thought I'd never make it to Paris, but 2008 was the year I did it. Haven'y got a head for heights like you, but managed to enjoy it and saw plenty.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Hi Mike, enjoyed your tips, would love to revisit and if we do an apartment would be ideal.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 6:28 AM

There never is eenough time for Paris, no matter how often you go there, there is always something else to be discovered! Great page of yours!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Paris is a city I have missed somehow...think I would love the river...especially at night. And oh..of course, the cafes.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Indeed, why is it the older we get the faster time flies! Thank you for the thought on my birthday Mike

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at the new tips you have added in the past ten days. Those drinking fountains were donated by an Englishman, Sir Richard Wallace, in the 1870s: "Wallace Fountain on Boulevard de Magenta" - Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by Nemorino.

MikeBird

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Badges & Stats in Paris