"Why visit Bedfordshire?" Top 5 Page for this destination Bedfordshire by MikeBird
Bedfordshire Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 259 photos
You might decide to visit Bedfordshire because of its two big Wildlife Parks: Woburn Safari Park and Whipsnade Wild Animal Park. Both are very well presented and both have records of breeding success amongst their animals. Whipsnade, as part of the Zoological Society of London, has a stronger scientific and educational role and arguably has the more dramatic location because some of the large paddocks are on the slopes of the Chiltern Hills or Downs.
Both parks however have other more accessible 'neighbours'; Woburn village with its Georgian facade of shops and houses has an olde worlde feel to it. The Antique and curio shops help to add atmosphere. There are also several hotels, pubs and restaurants. Don't forget Woburn Abbey as well - particularly if you like stately homes and smart grounds to explore.
Whipsnade has a Tree Cathedral - trees and shrubs designed and planted to a full size layout of a proper cathedral. It's very nice to wander around but it will not take you long. This site is owned by the National Trust and is free of charge.
The wallabies ....? Well, these little hoppers are reputedly escapees from Whipsnade. I've never seen one outside of the Park but inside they are allowed to roam free. Other local escapees have done much more damage - these are the Muntjac deer imported from Asia into the Woburn Estate and now they have spread across much of the south of England.
Stretching across the county of Bedfordshire from Leighton Buzzard in the south west to Gamlingay in the east is a 40 mile long footpath which follows the ridge of Greensand dating from the Cretaceous period.
The tips below can provide more details of the walk ( to be constructed)
Due to the position of Bedfordshire north of London it is inevitable that many of the major transport links North to South pass through the county. The M1 motorway, West Coast Main line and Midland Mainline rail links, Grand Union canal and Luton airport are here and all for travelling through Bedfordshire rather than visiting it.
Page under construction
Many people are suspicious and sceptical about the value of Zoos in todays world with much emphasis upon conserving... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Bedfordshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why visit Bedfordshire?"
- "Bedford, Hertfordshire"
- "Serene Castle and Country Village of Bedforeshire"
- "Whipsnade Zoo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bedfordshire
- Hotels in Bedfordshire
- Transportation in Bedfordshire
- Nightlife in Bedfordshire
- Restaurants in Bedfordshire
- Shopping in Bedfordshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Bedfordshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bedfordshire
- 2 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Bedfordshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bedfordshire
- updated a Bedfordshire Travel Page "Why visit Bedfordshire?"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: My Latest tips have gone..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Whipsnade Zoo: a terrific day out"
- Wrote a Review Whipsnade Zoo: a terrific day out in Bedfordshire Things to Do
- Commented on one of Tom_Fields's Bedfordshire travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Madagascar Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guyana Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Muscat Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos