"Dolgellau and surrounding areas of Mid Wales" Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd by MikeBird
Gwynedd Travel Guide: 1,302 reviews and 4,173 photos
Each year, for the last 6 years, my family have holidayed in the same house with the same group of friends at the same time of year. That might sound boring and unadventurous but actually it's been great. It's purely relaxing because we know what to expect, where everything is and we have a great time catching up on the news from each family. The 7 kids from the 3 families have grown up with each other and now they're like cousins.
The house we stay in has helped hugely as it's a big old house with 6 bedrooms. The house has large grounds on the side of the valley and at the bottom is the Mawddach river which flows down to the beautiful estuary with Barmouth at its mouth. The location, the great value for money and the lack of hassle make our week's holiday always a highlight of the year.
The house isn't really smart but it's warm and comfortable. It's very popular with mountain bikers because the Coed-y-Brenin mountain biking trails are only just up the road. Watch out when you are out walking in the forest though as you could get mown down by the bikers.
We always expect at least one day of rain even though we visit in early June - that's mid Wales for you.
There are lots of places to visit in the area but we think its strengths are as a great base for walking and enjoying the fresh air and countryside.
If you're interested in the Welsh language it's perfect. You'll hear a lot of Welsh spoken in Dolgellau town.
- Pros:Fantastic scenery and relaxed pace of life
- Cons:Expect rain - if it doesn't that's a bonus
- In a nutshell:Very Welsh
The Coed y Brenin Forest, is best known for its mountain biking trails but if you don't have wheels and prefer to walk... more travel advice
Tryfan Mountain, part of the Glyder Traverse, provides a reasonably challenging walk and climb particularly towards the... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Gwynedd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lleyn Peninsula And Surrounds, North Wales"
- "Dolgellau and surrounding areas of Mid Wales"
- "Anglesey Ynys Mon "
- "Mostly Anglesey really."
- "North Wales Delight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gwynedd
- Hotels in Gwynedd
- Transportation in Gwynedd
- Nightlife in Gwynedd
- Restaurants in Gwynedd
- Shopping in Gwynedd
- Warnings and Dangers in Gwynedd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gwynedd
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Gwynedd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gwynedd
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Malawi Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos