"Dhaka: Bangladesh's capital city" Top 5 Page for this destination Dhaka by MikeBird
Dhaka Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 460 photos
I was only here for less than a week on business and didn't manage to get out from meetings very much. What I noticed however was the mass of people everywhere, streets filled with activity; rickshaws and two stroke engined taxis, beggars and street traders. The traffic is intense and generally very slow moving.
Amazingly there are some 21st century aspects to life in Dhaka. For example all of the larger vehicles like cars and vans have been converted to run on liquid gas. Petrol and diesel is banned as a fuel. The air pollution would be so much worse without this intervention. The other environmental innovation is the banning of plastic bags. Apparently Bangladesh was the first country to outlaw these bags mainly because of fears that the waterways could become clogged so quickly leading to flooding. As a consequence paper based bags are used and a small industry has developed around the recycling of paper for handmade cartons or cones - particularly useful for holding small quantities of nuts or beans purchased from street hawkers.
It's a fascinating place where your senses will be stretched and your outlook on life challenged. I'm looking forward to a return visit next year.
I returned to Dhaka for another week's work but managed to get out and take a few more photos this time. These convey some of the contrasts in the city. They were taken in Gulshan - the upmarket part of the city where many of the Embassies have their residences. The difference between rich and poor here is very stark. Alongside this canal there were some palatial apartments that directly overlook small shacks with no basic facilities.
Wherever people are likely to be waiting there are small entrepreneuarial types who set up stalls selling a wide variety of tasty looking snacks.
- Pros:Friendly but very poor people
- Cons:Not for the squeamish
- In a nutshell:Challenging in so many ways
We had finished our meetings at 4pm and so had a couple of hours before dusk to get out and explore a bit further... more travel advice
During the early morning and around dusk you will find many people out for their power walks round the small lake. In... more travel advice
MikeBird's Related Pages
Dhaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dhaka - it's all true but there's so much more!"
- "A city of contrasts"
- "Dhaka: Bangladesh's capital city"
- "Fountains in Dhaka"
- "frankcanfly's Dhaka Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dhaka
- Hotels in Dhaka
- Transportation in Dhaka
- Nightlife in Dhaka
- Restaurants in Dhaka
- Shopping in Dhaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Dhaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dhaka
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dhaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dhaka
Photos in DhakaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos
- Prefecture of Lasithi Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Iceland Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Fyn Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Kas Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
Latest Dhaka hotel reviews
- Dhaka Sheraton Hotel
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Sarina
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Pan Pacific Sonargaon Dhaka
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Lake Shore Hotel & Apartment
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Best Western La Vinci Hotel Dhaka
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Radisson Water Garden Hotel Dhaka
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Westin Dhaka
- 230 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Asia Pacific Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013