"A Brief stop in San Jose" San José by FrankStar

San José Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos

Hotel Santo Thomas

Oh I have never been so happy to GET someplace in my life! After we finished at the Museo in Mexico City, we arrived at 5:00pm to go through customs and wait for the flight from Mexico City to San Jaun, CR that was due to leave at 8:00pm. Unfortunately, the plane was 4 hours late and we did not arrive in San Jose until 3:00am. TC and I had been up since the previous morning when we started our normal work day on Friday the 16th, getting onto the plane in PDX at midnight, hanging out in Mexico City all day and finally boarding the plane to San Jose after 11:00pm to arrive early Sunday morning.
The Hotel Santo Thomas is the most amazingly comfortable place to stay and not just because we were exhausted! It was really quite comfortable, clean and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, we could not sleep in as we were due to be on a bus at noon for Santa Elena and had to drag out of bed by 9am.

Bus Stop

I had read quite a lot about the local transportation and had settled on taking the public bus instead of catching a van. From Santo Thomas we took a taxi to the bus stop to wait for the bus to Santa Elena. It was my first experience on a public bus outside of the US and not at all unpleasant. The people were nice, helpful...even with my butchered Spanish. Once on the bus, we stopped frequently to let on new riders and vendor who sold everything from candy to frozen flavored ice-milk in plastic bags. It was facinating, especially on such a long trip.

Falling alseep on the bus is not always good......

Poor TC couldn't stay awake on the long bus ride which was about seven hours long. We had a short dinner break and a few small bathroom breaks, but for the most part it was one long ride. The scenery was beautiful as we traveled through the countryside and up the mountains on switch-back roads. The one-lane roads were bordered by sheer cliff drops allowing for little room for mistakes. Autos passed dangerously close to the edge. I read my book and figured the driver knew what he was doing. At one point we passed a livestock auction, the barn full of music, bight lights and cowboys with their wives and children.
When we arrived at 7:00 it was drizzling rain and cold compared to the sun we had left in San Jose. SO glad to get off of the bus and stretch!

• Last visit to San José: Mar 2007
  • Intro Written Sep 29, 2007

Comments

FrankStar

“Never...EVER...act like an American Tourist!”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in San José

Have you been to San José?

Latest Activity in San José