"omik's new World page" omik's Profile

I have recently returned from a 24 day solo trip into Burma, Thailand,Laos and Cambodia. In Bangkok I stayed a few nights at the Royal River Hotel,($25) right on the river and used the numerous boats for my taxi. Very inexpensive and away from crowded streets. Hotel and its food are first class, and very reasonable prices. I made most hotel and air arrangements with hotelthailand.com and found there service outstanding. They also take credit cards and you can prepay your air and hotel in Burma, where very few places accept them. In Burma visited Yangon (Rangoon),Bagan,Mandalay,Bago and enjoyed every minute of it,5 nights. In Cambodia visited SiemReap as my purpose was to see Anghor Wat and that area, 2 nights and 3 days gave ample time for my tours. Laos flew into Vientiene and spent 2 days and 2 nights there. Kept returning and working out of Bangkok and flew mostly on Thai Air.Great hotel near airport is Rama Gardens ($50). NOW we skip to March 2004 and I took a great trip to Bhutan where I spent 8 days in this bneautiful country. From there I went to Darjeeling on the Toy Train from Silugari where I spent 4 days, stayed at the 717 hotel. Thence by jeep with Gunnar, a German young man who was also solo. We went to Gangtok, Sikkim and friom there made trips out to Lake Chango as well as a trip west for overnite. Gangtok to Silugari by helicopter, very reasonable, and then onto New Delhi overnite and then to Leh, Ladakh. All of these Himalayan countrys and provinces above 10,000 and Leh 14,100. From there I shed my winter attire and flew to Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkota for a week of warming my bones, then off to Bangkok for a flight back to Honolulu. A great 5 week adventure for a 78 year old solo trraveller.

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2004

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!