"My 4th Trip to PEI" Prince Edward Island by goldenodin

Prince Edward Island Travel Guide: 350 reviews and 632 photos

Been a few years since my last visit...

Probably about 10. After going to Boston the year before, we decided to take a close to home trip. The ferry can be neat (and is closer to where we live) but the Confederation Bridge rocks. And we were staying just over the bridge, so we decided to drive. We also took our dog with us. Unfortunately, we had to come home a night early, because our dog has seizures, and travelling (as we discovered) doesn't agree with his seizures. But we all had fun! We went for 3 nights (was 4, but had to come home).
New Glasgow Country Gardens and Butterfly house. This was the first time we went here - able to take the dog, which was great. Nice area off the road for homemade ice cream (peach!). Little take out restaurant- nice chicken wraps, and barbeque. I think there was also a fancier restaurant - we ate outside on a patio...met a friendly man from Australia who was talking with us about our dog. Also, store to buy homemade jams and jellies - and watch them being prepared. The gardens seemed still a little under construction, but were beautiful. Nice gift shop by the butterfly house. Butterfly house itself was neat, tho I couldn't get any butterflies to land on me. Lots of colour and places to sit and relax.

Summerside

Summerside is a neat town. Lovely waterfront. Did a little shopping downtown. Great 50's style restaurant there that we ate at twice. Not really any touristy things to do. We just wandered around for a few hours.
Charlottetown has some good museums, but as we had our dog, we didn't visit any this time. Some nice shopping downtown. Great for walking around.

Cavendish area and North Cape

It's a bit of a drive, but I guess nothing is really far in PEI, and the drive is lovely. North Cape, they have a wind farm, with all kinds of wind turbines and a little visitors area. It's neat. We were there on a cool, overcast day, windy and a little wet, so we didn't stay outside long. I enjoyed watching the birds that were nesting in the cliffs flying in and out of their nests. I found the turbines interesting as well.
I find Cavendish is very (tacky) tourist oriented - Ripley's Believe it or Not, Wax Museum(cool), King Tut's Tomb (which my hubby dragged me thru again - not that exciting.) I liked the mini golf by the Ripleys! The shopping area had some neat things, and there was a good pizza joint there for a quick bite, but it seems to be there just to suck the $$ from your wallet.
I remember from a grade 6 trip many moons ago that the Anne of Green Gables house was neat - if you liked the books, or watched Road to Avonlea, you gotta go see it.

• Pros:Everything is easy to get to!
  • In a nutshell:Great for a quiet, relaxing vacation.
  • Last visit to Prince Edward Island: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2007

• Oct 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM

This place has closed down and that is too bad because some of the castles were amazing. when we were there in summer of 2010 the main castle was for sale!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Anyone who ever read any of the Anne books has a little corner of their heart set on visiting Prince Edward I sland. Welcome to VT. leyle

goldenodin

“Travel - don't wait - do it - you never know when things will change..”

Badges & Stats in Prince Edward Island

Have you been to Prince Edward Island?

Latest Activity in Prince Edward Island