"Kronshtadt a Naval City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kronshtadt by Skillsbus
Kronshtadt Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 144 photos
Traditionally, the seat of the Russian admiralty and the base of the Russian Baltic Fleet were located in Kronstadt guarding the approaches to Saint Petersburg. The historic centre of the city and its fortifications are part of the World Heritage Site.
The town of Kronstadt is built on level ground and is thus exposed to inundations, the most famous being in 1824. On the south side of the town there are three harbours: the large western or merchant harbour, the western flank of which is formed by a great mole joining the fortifications which traverse the breadth of the island on this side; the middle harbour, used chiefly for fitting out and repairing vessels; and the eastern or war harbour for vessels of the Russian navy. The Peter and Catherine canals, communicating with the merchant and middle harbours, traverse the town. Between them stood the old Italian palace of Prince Menshikov, the site of which was later occupied by a pilot school.
The modern town's most striking landmark is the enormous Naval Cathedral, built from 1908 to 1913 and considered to represent a culmination of the Russian Neo-Byzantism. The older St Andrew Cathedral (1817), formerly Kronstadt's pride and beauty, was destroyed on communist orders in 1932. St John of Kronstadt, one of the most venerated Russian saints, served there as a priest from 1855-1908.
- Pros:Lots to see
- In a nutshell:A trip worth doing
There is really little information about this lighthouse. It functions only together (or in pair) with another... more travel advice
Built in 1817 this cathedral was sadly demolished in 1932 but today there is a memorial gardens where it once stood.... more travel advice
Skillsbus' Related Pages
Kronshtadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Kronstadt"
- "Cruise Ship Passage"
- "Kronshtadt a Naval City"
- "Kronshtadt - sea fortress of Saint-Petersburg"
- "Kronstadt - Peter I's strategic Naval Island"
- "The former sea fortress in the Gulf of Finland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kronshtadt
- Hotels in Kronshtadt
- Transportation in Kronshtadt
- Restaurants in Kronshtadt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kronshtadt
- 22 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kronshtadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kronshtadt
Photos in KronshtadtSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 103 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 89 reviews, 284 photos
- Prague Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kronshtadt Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos
- Guernsey Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos
- Zelenogorsk Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Shlissel'burg Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Mlada Boleslav Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos