"My Ribeauvillé" Top 5 Page for this destination Ribeauvillé by robertbaum
Ribeauvillé Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 106 photos
Ribeauvillé and its vicinity were the possession of the powerful Lords of Ribeaupierre, a local dynasty who built the three castles which still dominate the town. The ruins are accessible by hiking footpaths from the town.
The Saint-Ulrich castle is by far the most impressive, although the smallest at 528 metres. Saint Ulrich is also the oldest: its construction started in the 11th century. The castle features three architectural styles: Romanesque, Gothic and Early Renaissance.
The Girsberg castle, built in the 13th century by the Ribeaupierre, was given to house the knights of Girsberg in 1304.
The Haut-Ribeaupierre castle is the highest of the three at 642 metres. Only the circular keep stands today, on top of which there is a commanding view over the Alsace Plain and the Black Forest (Germany) in the distance.
The semi-pedestrianised street of Grand’Rue acts as the spinal cord of the town. Most of Ribeauvillé’s finest houses and monuments are found along the narrow main street, including the 13th century Butchers’ Tower (Tour des Bouchers) which separates the lower to the higher parts of town. Other houses of interest are the Pfifferhüs (former house of the fife-playing minstrels), the Halle aux Blés (covered corn exchange hall), the Old Inn 'Zum Elephant' (Auberge à l’Eléphant') from 1522, the 18th century Town Hall and its small museum with a prestigious collection of silver and gold items.
A major tourist hub along the Alsace Wine Route, the town of Ribeauvillé is framed by fantastic scenery of vineyards and rolling hills lying on the edge of the Vosges. The mountain flanking the town is crowned by three ruined feudal castles, giving this site an enchanting touch.
Renowned for its Riesling and Gewurztraminer white wines, the vineyards of Ribeauvillé produce local Grands Crus Kirchberg, Osterberg and Geisberg.
- In a nutshell:a picturesque town and major hub along the Alsace Wine Route
On the first Sunday of September, the Fiddlers’ Festival (Pfifferdaj) celebrates the “day of the fifes” in Ribeauvillé.... more travel advice
This remarkable red-painted half-timbered house is now home to a butchery. It features some interesting timber shapes:... more travel advice
robertbaum's Related Pages
Ribeauvillé Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL RIBEAUVILLE"
- "City of Street Musicians"
- "Wine Villages in Alsace"
- "Vin blanc & trois châteaux"
- "My Ribeauvillé"
- "The Charming Town of Ribeauvillé"
- "one of the most beautiful villages in alsace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ribeauvillé
- Hotels in Ribeauvillé
- Transportation in Ribeauvillé
- Restaurants in Ribeauvillé
- Shopping in Ribeauvillé
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ribeauvillé
- 14 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Ribeauvillé?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ribeauvillé
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo-to Intro, 100 reviews, 270 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos
- Sessenheim Intro, 30 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wiesbaden Intro, 34 reviews, 93 photos
- Shinagawa Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos
- Soufflenheim Intro, 25 reviews, 90 photos
- Dubai Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos
- Durmersheim Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eisenach Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Lembach Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos