"My Soufflenheim - the pottery town" Soufflenheim by robertbaum
Soufflenheim Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 90 photos
If there is a craft in the world that may be called the oldest than this might be pottery.
Since the end of the bronze age potters have lived in this area. During excavations near Soufflenheim potteries from this time were found and are exhibited in the Historical Museum in Haguenau.
Soufflenheim was first mentioned in the records in 1147 in a document of Pope Eugen III.
In 1837 the Alsace pottery reached its peak with potteries in more than 30 towns and 55 potteries in Soufflenheim alone with about 600 people working in the workshops here in Soufflenheim. Today it is only two towns where pottery is a daily business, in Betschdorf and Soufflenheim with just a third of its original number of potteries.
- Pros:You like pottery? Than this is your town!!
- In a nutshell:Potteries wherever you look in this nutshell of a town.
You know the typical Alsatian animal that is depicted on so many paintings and postcards? It is the stork, but this... more travel advice
At the foot of the church hill and at the corner of the street is the tourist information. Here you can take a city map... more travel advice
robertbaum's Related Pages
Soufflenheim Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Soufflenheim
- Restaurants in Soufflenheim
- Shopping in Soufflenheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Soufflenheim
- 25 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Soufflenheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soufflenheim
Photos in SoufflenheimSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo-to Intro, 92 reviews, 251 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos
- Sessenheim Intro, 30 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wiesbaden Intro, 34 reviews, 93 photos
- Soufflenheim Intro, 25 reviews, 90 photos
- Durmersheim Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eisenach Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Lembach Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Chiba-ken Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Darmstadt Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos