"CALICUT- GATEWAY OF INDIA TO EUROPEON EXPLORERS" Calicut by kmohandas
Calicut Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 32 photos
Calicut (now known as Kozhikode) is an important city on the west coast of India in the north region of state of Kerala. It was a leading trading centre for spices during the medieval period. This place was ruled by the Samoothiry (Zamorin) dynasty. Calicut found a place in World History with the discovery of sea route to India in 1498 by the Portuguese navigator Vasco Da Gama. He landed at Kappad a coastal fishing village near Calict.. This event changed the history of India. Traders from Porugal, Holland, France and England started arriving in India after the discovery of this sea-route .India ultimately became a British colony. India became an independent country in 1947. Calicut was under the Madras Presidency during British rule. Calicut became a part of Kerala State (Malayalam is the main language of Kerala) in 1956 when states of India were formed on linguistic basis.
In ancient times, Calicut was an important center for trade and commerce, attracting a number of foreign traders’ to nestle within its territories. Today, this city is a thriving and prosperous center in the state of Kerala. With a population of over two million, this is the third largest city in Kerala after Cochin and Trivandrum.
As you travel through the city, you can see palatial houses, huge shopping complexes and restaurants. The real estate prices are very high in this city.
The beaches in Calicut are pristine with gleaming white sand and blue-green crystal clear water. An evening stroll on any one of the beaches is really enjoyable. The sunset at the beaches are indeed amazing.
- Pros:city have wonderful beaches
- Cons:Hot and humid climate
- In a nutshell:Ideal for week-end get away trips
The Sunset at Calicut beach provides a breath-taking view to the onlookers. It is indeed a beautiful sight. Whenever you... more travel advice
Kappad (Kappakadavu) is a famous tourist destination in India, where the Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama landed on May... more travel advice
kmohandas' Related Pages
Calicut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALICUT- GATEWAY OF INDIA TO EUROPEON EXPLORERS"
- "Calicut- Historic Coastal Town"
- "Calicut OR now Kozhikode"
- "Calicut-The gateway to friendship"
- "Kozhikode is also called Calicut"
- "the extra ordinary calicut my home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calicut
- Transportation in Calicut
- Restaurants in Calicut
- Warnings and Dangers in Calicut
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Calicut
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Calicut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calicut
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Berlin Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos
- Munich Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Calicut Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Chail Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Shrinagar Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (69)
Latest Calicut hotel reviews
- Kadavu Resort
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013