"Siena" Siena by bren1125
Siena Travel Guide: 899 reviews and 2,709 photos
A beautiful drive through the Tuscan Chianti wine producing region to Siena. It is a historic town of Tuscany, of about 54,000 inhabitants. It is rich in works of art and monuments. The medieval buildings, small squares, naroow streets, and colorful red bricks make this a charming town.
Most famous for it's Palio Horse Race. This is held in the perimeter ring in the Piazza del Campo, which is covered by a layer of dirt and sand. It is held each year from June 26-Aug 16th. There are four trials for qaulification and 10 horses are selected. 10 riders from the 17 contradas (neighborhoods) are chosen by lkottery. The winner is given a cencio (banner painted by a local artist) and is written in history. This is a very proud moment for the winner, his family and region.
Stop at the Psychiatric Hospital for a great photo op. You can also go on the grounds if you are sly enough. They are... more travel advice
bren1125's Related Pages
Siena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A thousand shades of brown"
- "Siena is wonderful place"
- "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- "The true star of Tuscany"
- "Siena, the ochre city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siena
- Hotels in Siena
- Transportation in Siena
- Nightlife in Siena
- Restaurants in Siena
- Shopping in Siena
- Warnings and Dangers in Siena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siena
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Siena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siena
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 29 photos
- Belize Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- San Diego Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Rome 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Rosarito 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Siena Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rancho Bernardo 4 reviews, 1 photo
- Pisa Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.