"Cape Breton in autumn" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island by GentleSpirit

Cape Breton Island Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 438 photos

The highlight of my trip to Nova Scotia was easily the magnificent wide openness of Cape Breton Island. I had visions of great hiking, being out in the outdoors. Seeing the fog lifting over the Cabot Trail as we got up int he morning getting ready to head out on the trail was just sublime!

I was on a tour that was mainly geared towards hiking/backpacking. We passed through the main towns but really didn't spend much time seeing the usual things many tourists would see. For me that was fine, I did so much hiking and everything I had hoped for was far exceeded by the reality of this wonderful place.

I didn't write down some of the place names, so if you can help i would appreciate it

• Pros:hiking, the outdoors, great views everywhere, friendly people, lots of culture
  • Cons:a bit isolated
  • Last visit to Cape Breton Island: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2012

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

great tips on cape Breton Val. I remember my trip there fondly and wish we would have hiked around more but couldn't do to bad weather. Where else did u go in Nova Scotia?

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Jul 11, 2013 at 2:40 AM

we went to halifax, a few other stops on cape breton and then crossed into PEI. biggest majority of the time was spent on cape breton. would love to go back and see louisburg and lunenburg

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Great page. It's a shame I know close to nothing about this place

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Mar 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Halifax is the capital, I personally would rather go to the Cape Breton Island, Louisburg, Annapolis Valley. Of course Peggys Cove lighthouse is very famous as well, and lots of great hiking in NS

• kris-t's Profile Photo
      Mar 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thank you, will keep this places in mind

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Val, fantastic page about this gem of Nova Scotia. The Bear on the Lake guesthouse sounds like my kind of place.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

What fabulous scenery in this area. Would love to do the hikes you did. We saw Moose close up in Alaska.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Lovely page, Val - the hiking looks spectacular!
    And, as I have yet to see My Moose, I am very jealous of your achievement!
    Wishing you a peaceful, fulfilling and travel-filled New Year!
    Regards
    Cathy

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Now, I am jealous, as you not only got to see a moose, but you managed to get five pictures of her. "Salty Bear Adventures" - what a great way to get around Cape Breton and you have the companionship of the other hikers. And yes, some of the views in the Park are simply outstanding.

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Badges & Stats in Cape Breton Island

Have you been to Cape Breton Island?

Latest Activity in Cape Breton Island