"Charming village of Tadoussac" Top 5 Page for this destination Tadoussac by GentleSpirit
Tadoussac Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 98 photos
I got to Tadoussac while I was on a bus/backpacker tour through Quebec Province. We just spent the night there but it was a lovely place, we got to play cards with some of the locals (who were total card sharks) and got to see a few neat things. More than anything else, Tadoussac is known today as the center for whale watching but there are some great hiking opportunities and a few unexpected nature opportunities.
Tadoussac has actually been around for a good long time and can boast of many firsts. Formed in 1600 by François Gravé Du Pont and Pierre de Chauvin de Tonnetuit, this was the first permanent French settlement in North America. They like to argue that it was the first European settlement in North America but that is subject to dispute. The founders had received a monopoly fur trading license, this was also the first trading post in what was to become New France. Tadoussac remained the only seaport on the river for 30 years.
Over time it became well known for whaling as well. Even today, you can still see the whales from the shore.
Tadoussac today remains a small village. Probably no more than 850 people live here permanently. Part of the reason for that may be that this area still is very isolated. The nearest urban area is 100 km away at Saguenay. Particularly during the harsh winters, this place becomes more and more forbidding.
- Pros:great hiking, whale watching
- Cons:isolated, if you miss the bus/ferry your'e out of luck
If you want to stay in a more luxurious place in Tadoussac the choice would have to be the historic Hotel Tadoussac. You... more travel advice
They take you down to the wharf and get you suited up in a heavy jacket and basically a set of coveralls. You go out on... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Tadoussac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming village of Tadoussac"
- "Quebec's natural wonderland"
- "The most beautiful village in Quebec!"
- "whales whales and whales"
- "Charlevoix Region and Fjord du Saguenay"
- "Tadoussac -gorgeous village of Manicougan (Quebec)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tadoussac
- Hotels in Tadoussac
- Transportation in Tadoussac
- Nightlife in Tadoussac
- Restaurants in Tadoussac
- See All...
Explore the World
- Yuba Lake State Recreation Area Hotels
- Los Angeles
- Mauritius Hotels
- Ringlet Hotels
- Chaguaramas Hotels
- Temperance River State Park Hotels
- Puerto Galera
- Bet Shemesh Hotels
- Cameron Highlands
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Airlie Beach
- Davao City
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Abu Dhabi
Badges & Stats in Tadoussac
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Tadoussac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tadoussac
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos