"Charming village of Tadoussac" Top 5 Page for this destination Tadoussac by GentleSpirit
Tadoussac Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 97 photos
I got to Tadoussac while I was on a bus/backpacker tour through Quebec Province. We just spent the night there but it was a lovely place, we got to play cards with some of the locals (who were total card sharks) and got to see a few neat things. More than anything else, Tadoussac is known today as the center for whale watching but there are some great hiking opportunities and a few unexpected nature opportunities.
Tadoussac has actually been around for a good long time. Formed in 1600 by François Gravé Du Pont and Pierre de Chauvin de Tonnetuit, this was the first permanent French settlement in North America. They like to argue that it was the first European settlement in North America but that is subject to dispute. Originally founded because the founders had received a monopoly fur trading license, Tadoussac remained the only seaport on the river for 30 years.
Over time it became well known for whaling as well. Even today, you can still see the whales from the shore.
Tadoussac today remains a small village. Probably no more than 850 people live here. Part of the reason for that may be that this area still is very isolated. The nearest urban area is 100 km away at Saguenay. Particularly during the harsh winters, this place becomes more and more difficult.
- Pros:great hiking, whale watching
- Cons:isolated, if you miss the bus/ferry your'e out of luck
The CIMM is a nice way to get a good understanding of the whales, their reproductive cycles, why they are attracted and... more travel advice
See the little chapel on the right side of the photo. That is the oldest wooden church in Canada. Built 1747 by the... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Tadoussac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming village of Tadoussac"
- "Quebec's natural wonderland"
- "The most beautiful village in Quebec!"
- "whales whales and whales"
- "Charlevoix Region and Fjord du Saguenay"
- "Tadoussac -gorgeous village of Manicougan (Quebec)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tadoussac
- Hotels in Tadoussac
- Transportation in Tadoussac
- Nightlife in Tadoussac
- Restaurants in Tadoussac
- See All...
Explore the World
- Presque Isle State Park
- Pulau Batam
- Fort Walton Beach Hotels
- Fargo Hotels
- Greensboro Hotels
- Cameron Highlands
- Los Barriles
- Boracay Island
- Monterosso al Mare
- Minnesota Hotels
- Birch Bay Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Norte
- Marsh Harbour Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tadoussac
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Tadoussac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tadoussac
- Posted in Travel Toronto Forum "Re: Departing Toronto Airport"
- Commented on one of GentleSpirit's Tadoussac travel pages
- Wrote a Review CIMM- Marine Mammal Interpretation Center in Tadoussac Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "CIMM- Marine Mammal Interpretation Center"
- updated a Tadoussac Travel Page "Charming village of Tadoussac"
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 69 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 32 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos