"A Salute to our Heroes" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by GentleSpirit
Arlington Travel Guide: 483 reviews and 1,161 photos
A visit to Arlington National Cemetery is one of the more interesting and essential sights to see if you are in Washington DC. The National Cemetery holds the remains of over 330,000 servicemen as well as several Presidents and other distinguished people.
It is a moving, dignified place.
Some of the more popular grave sites at Arlington are those of President John F. Kennedy and his brother, Senator Robert F. Kennedy. The last time I went to Arlington the remains of Mrs Kennedy had been interred there. Since then, the remains of Senator Edward Kennedy have also been buried there. Where you often expect to see grand and ornate burial places for Presidents, the Kennedy graves are notable for their simplicity.
You might think that this tomb honors just one Unknown Soldier. It does not. The remains of unknown soldiers from World Wars I and II and the Korean War are here. The Unknown Soldier from the Vietnam War was subsequently identified and re-interred near his home. Due to advances in DNA it seems unlikely that there will be another truly unknown soldier.
- Pros:Tomb of the Unknowns, Changing of the Guard, Veteran's Day
- Cons:not much parking
- In a nutshell:A dignified tribute to those who served
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is guarded 24 hours a day every day of the year regardless of how hot or cold or rainy... more travel advice
Pierre Charles L'enfant (1754-1825) was famous for designing Washington DC. He was an architect and civil engineer. He... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Arlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!"
- "b1bob does Arlington"
- "Arlington has a little of Everything"
- "Historic Sites and Good Hotels"
- "A Salute to our Heroes"
- "The Air Force Memorial"
- "Welcome to Arlington National Cemetery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arlington
- Hotels in Arlington
- Transportation in Arlington
- Nightlife in Arlington
- Restaurants in Arlington
- Shopping in Arlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Arlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arlington
- 33 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlington
Photos in ArlingtonSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 81 reviews, 194 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos