"Center of Montgomery County" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockville by GentleSpirit

Rockville Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 53 photos

Rockville Today

Rockville today is the seat of Montgomery County, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC. With a population of about 61,000 it is the third largest city in the State of Maryland after Baltimore and Frederick. One of the biggest benefits is that it is so close to DC (18 miles) and has great transportation connections if you are visiting DC or need to go downtown.

Originally, Montgomery County was part of the more wealthy (at the time) Frederick County. The Constitutional Convention in 1776 allowed what is now Rockville to break away from Frederick County and form its own County.

I still remember moving to this area when we were first transferred back from overseas. It was a spread out city with a lot of little neighborhoods but no central core to speak of. By the time that I came back in the late 80's things had started to change. The Metro stopped right on Rockville Pike and a downtown core had taken shape, centered in the area around the Court buildings and the Executive Building.

In the last few years a determined effort has been made by city and county authorities. The downtown core of Rockville has been redeveloped, centering around the new Rockville Library and town center, shopping and some entertainment has been added and its looking pretty good. There has been plenty of new construction and we are seeing a new hotel go up right close to the Metro.

I hadn't really thought of writing much about Rockville because, at least on the surface, there isn't much of interest to the tourist. One thing I found very interesting though. As I live and work in this area a lot of things that I pass every day escape my notice. I sort of discovered some of these things taking a few pictures for my VT pages. I found out a bit about Civil War history in this area, among a few other things.

• Pros:very centrally located
  • Cons:spread out, little night life
  • In a nutshell:good festivals in summer
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2013

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Interesting photos....I like the winterone.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

If you have a good Thai restaurant nearby, life is good. Spice levels are always relative, I tend to request light spices until I am confidant I can "take" more. However, I've found that in Minnesota and the upper Midwest generally it's safe to go ahead and order "medium spice" the first time!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Aug 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I grew up in places that eat spicy food. Certainly Thailand was one of the better ones:) I usually order medium, depending on the dish

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Nice page about your current home town. I'm glad they managed to preserve the old train station, even though it now has a different function.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Love your opening photo! Your page is full of helpful tips, a must for somebody coming here. The free concerts sound wonderful, as does the 4th July celebrations.

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Badges & Stats in Rockville

Have you been to Rockville?

Latest Activity in Rockville