"Center of Montgomery County" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockville by GentleSpirit
Rockville Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 53 photos
Rockville today is the seat of Montgomery County, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC. With a population of about 61,000 it is the third largest city in the State of Maryland after Baltimore and Frederick. One of the biggest benefits is that it is so close to DC (18 miles) and has great transportation connections if you are visiting DC or need to go downtown.
Originally, Montgomery County was part of the more wealthy (at the time) Frederick County. The Constitutional Convention in 1776 allowed what is now Rockville to break away from Frederick County and form its own County.
I still remember moving to this area when we were first transferred back from overseas. It was a spread out city with a lot of little neighborhoods but no central core to speak of. By the time that I came back in the late 80's things had started to change. The Metro stopped right on Rockville Pike and a downtown core had taken shape, centered in the area around the Court buildings and the Executive Building.
In the last few years a determined effort has been made by city and county authorities. The downtown core of Rockville has been redeveloped, centering around the new Rockville Library and town center, shopping and some entertainment has been added and its looking pretty good. There has been plenty of new construction and we are seeing a new hotel go up right close to the Metro.
I hadn't really thought of writing much about Rockville because, at least on the surface, there isn't much of interest to the tourist. One thing I found very interesting though. As I live and work in this area a lot of things that I pass every day escape my notice. I sort of discovered some of these things taking a few pictures for my VT pages. I found out a bit about Civil War history in this area, among a few other things.
- Pros:very centrally located
- Cons:spread out, little night life
- In a nutshell:good festivals in summer
Usually winter with us is not very harsh. You will want a warm jacket and appropriate footwear. Here are a few photos... more travel advice
As I mentioned before, in the last 10 years downtown Rockville has changed quite a bit. a number of strip malls, older... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Rockville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Center of Montgomery County"
- "Rockville - colorful, playful!"
- "Rockville - My Hometown"
- "sayville's new Rockville Page"
- "jc2000's new Rockville page"
- "This is what I call home now!"
- "Rockville Maryland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rockville
- Hotels in Rockville
- Transportation in Rockville
- Restaurants in Rockville
- Shopping in Rockville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rockville
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Rockville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rockville
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 79 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos