"out in the suburbs" Gaithersburg by GentleSpirit
Gaithersburg Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 22 photos
Gaithersburg is a suburb of Washington DC, about 25 miles away. It is the 4th largest city in Maryland with a population of about 60,000. In terms of interest to tourists? Probably not much in the way of museums or sights, not different from the suburbs almost anywhere else.
For the traveler, one of the advantages of the suburbs is price, you can stay out here, take the metro into DC...go wild sightseeing during the day and once you have spent all your money you can come back where you will most likely be staying at a fraction of what you would pay in the city itself.
Public Transport- the best way to get to Gaithersburg is with Metro RED line, takes about 40 minutes from downtown DC. Last stop on the line is SHADY GROVE. Taxis are parked as you exit the station if needed.
What we know as Gaithersburg today has been around since 1765, when it was part of the Deer Park land grant.
When the B&O (Baltimore&Ohio) Railroad built a station it was the start of the incorporation of Gaithersburg. There were chuches, schools, grain elevators and plenty of development around what is today Old Towne Gaithersburg. Much of the area around Old Town has been redeveloped in the last few years, lots of new condos especially and some of the little "antique" and curio stores in the Old Town are now gone.
- Pros:suburbia USA, not far from anything in the Washington DC area
- Cons:suburbia USA
The Chinese cultural center always puts on a very tasteful and elaborate function to celebrate the Lunar New Year at... more travel advice
Though Gaithersburg is considered a city, it wasn't long ago that much of this was farmland. To see wildlife here is... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Gaithersburg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Gaithersburg
- Hotels in Gaithersburg
- Transportation in Gaithersburg
- Restaurants in Gaithersburg
- Shopping in Gaithersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaithersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaithersburg
- 17 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Gaithersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaithersburg
- Posted in Travel Carcassonne Forum "Re: seeing the Cathar castles"
- Wrote a Review Chinese New Year Celebrations in Gaithersburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chinese New Year Celebrations"
- Commented on one of GentleSpirit's Gaithersburg tips
- updated a Gaithersburg Travel Page "out in the suburbs"
Photos in GaithersburgSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 82 reviews, 196 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 73 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 35 reviews, 65 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos