"Frederick, Maryland-Civil War Crossroads" Frederick by GentleSpirit
Frederick Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 148 photos
For a long time, Frederick was a distant suburb of the Washington DC Metro area. Gradually, a few major industries set up shop near the city and things have changed. Prices tend to be somewhat cheaper in Frederick County(compared to Montgomery County and Fairfax County), so a lot of people have come out this way seeking better value in housing. As you drive out to Frederick from the nearer-in suburbs you will notice more green spaces, more farms. You are getting farther from the big city.
Frederick is the seat of Frederick County, with a 2010 population of about 65,000 (seems small). Frederick is at the junction of several major highways and is reasonably well located in north-west Maryland. It is 46 miles (74 km) west from Baltimore (Maryland) 49 miles (79 km) north and west of Washington DC.
Frederick itself dates back to colonial times, being settled by German immigrants around 1745. Later came the Irish, until which time German was the main language spoken in the town.
Because of its location, Frederick (city) was a crossroads during the Civil War. Three significant Civil War battlefields are within 50 miles of city limits. Frederick also served as major hospital center during the Civil War.
Frederick County had two major Civil War battles. One was the 1862 Battle of South Mountain and the 1864 Battle of Monocacy. Being on the Mason Dixon line, Frederick was taken over and re-conquered several times. Not too far away you will find the Antietam National Battlefield, the site of the bloodiest single battle in the Civil War. Also fairly close by is Gettysburg (Penn.).
- Pros:artsy, nice old town, antique shopping
- Cons:not very good public transport connections
- In a nutshell:Great for Civil War history
North of Frederick you can see the 38 mile Catoctin Mountain National Scenic Byway. This was established as a scenic... more travel advice
I have to say that Frederick County did a great job with this center. Located in a remodelled warehouse, they put... more travel advice
GentleSpirit's Related Pages
Frederick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Frederick: Old-town America"
- "Frederick, MD"
- "frederick maryland"
- "Frederick, Maryland-Civil War Crossroads"
- "Civil War Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frederick
- Transportation in Frederick
- Nightlife in Frederick
- Restaurants in Frederick
- Shopping in Frederick
- Warnings and Dangers in Frederick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frederick
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Frederick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frederick
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 69 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos
- Prague Intro, 46 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 32 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olomouc Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
Latest Frederick hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Frederick Fort Detrick
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013